Tuesday 23 January 2007

Oscar Talk - The Nominations

I was up watching the announcement on the internet this morning (love technology), texting my best mate Dean getting ready to pee myself from excitment. This was an unpredictable year a few months ago. But now, that the nominations have been announced, it all just seems so bloody dull. Best Actress and Supporting Actress were locks for a while. So was Best Actor (aside from Leo's 2 films), Best Supporting Actor was not even that hard in the end.
What I took away was never underestimate the power of Clint Eastwood. I do feel bad for the Dreamgirls team, even though it was not one of my favourite films. Oh well....a list of thoughts and questions.

1. The Departed is not as strong as I originally thought. 5 total nominations is not alot.

2. They really like Babel. Could the Globes be some sort of tragic fore shadowing?

3. The Academy love Clint Eastwood, but in honesty the man did make 2 companion films. I was expecting a nomination, just not at Dreamgirls expense.

4. Dreamgirls is technically strong, with 2 good performances. Kind of what I thought while watching it. I know people will scream (racism is already being flug about) about this, but most of the Academy would probably watch Dreamgirls on a DVD screener and it does not translate well at all. When it is released on DVD you will see.

5. I do think that Pan's Labyrinth came very close to the big two prizes. 6 nominations in total, tied with The Queen and beaten just by Babel and Dreamgirls. If only it had been release a month before.

6. For the first time in a long time there is no match between Best Actor and Best Picture. In fact 4 of the 5 nominated actors hold thier movies only nomination.

7. The Academy are idiots for not nominating Volver for Best Foreign Film. I am gobsmacked about that one.

8. Paul Greengrass made his statement, and got justly rewarded for it.

9. Finally, the costume category recognises the work of contemporary film. About bloody time. I think the last time was for Pricilla, Queen of the Desert (and it won)

10. I no not think all the categories are as locked up as people think. There still could be huge upsets especially in the acting categories....we will see how SAG plays out.

11. I have to stop guessing with my heart and use my head a little more when it comes to predictions. I just like to throw out a little hope sometimes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well it's going to be an interesting ceremony this year ! All hail Mr O'Toole, lets see if at last he gets his just rewards. I think it's scandalous how he has been shut out so many times, especially in light of some of the more recent Oscar gestures ... Jamie Foxx anynone - REALLY !!!! I think Dame Helen is going to win first place afterall her performance was so subtle and lets face it she makes a good winner. That aside the academy loves Dame Judi could she sneak in if the votes get split between Helen and Meryl, its happened before. we could see a spread of votes , some for The Queen's depth and some for the shear entertaining Prada. It makes for an interesting game. My money is on Helen by a nose but I think the best actress category is full of good winners, smiles all round for whoever gets the little man, basically there isn't anyone in the lead actress category who would lead me to groan when their name is called out and then promptly spend thier speech time making a cup of coffee !

Michael Parsons said...

Hear Hear!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think that all the acting categories are strong and as a result I am not worried about who wins. I think I would have been behind Leonardo for The Departed. I am hoping that Martin wins and can't really judge best picture as have only seen one. So this year I am rooting for the environmental movies. Go Happy Feet and An Inconvenient Truth!