Friday 23 February 2007

MY PREDICTIONS!!!!!

Ok, here are my pathetic predictions for this years Academy Awards. I am probably way off on this, but I am going with my gut feeling.

Best Adapted Screenplay
I think this is The Departed’s to lose, but if it were to lose I have a feeling it would be to Borat himself. I can just imagine the Academy putting his name down to see him up on that stage. The show is boring….they may just want the entertainment badly enough!
Prediction – The Departed (Alt – Borat)

Best Original Screenplay
The only real challenger to Little Miss Sunshine here is The Queen or Babel. I think Little Miss sunshine will prevail here.
Prediction – Little Miss Sunshine (Alt – The Queen)

Best Supporting Actress
Jennifer Hudson should prevail here nicely, however I get the feeling Abigail Breslin could be nipping at her heals…..I mean who could really vote against Little Miss Sunshine herself?
Prediction – Jennifer Hudson (Alt – Abigail Breslin)

Best Supporting Actor
This is where things get tricky. Eddie Murphy has won the majority of the precursors, however he is not well liked in Hollywood. Alan Arkin gave a good performance as a very memorable character, and has some of the best lines, plus he is in a Best Picture contender. I predict Arkin to the win.
Prediction – Alan Arkin (Alt – Eddie Murphy)

Best Actress
This is Helen Mirrens, and much deserved. The only outside shot would be Meryl.
Prediction – Helen Mirren (Alt – None really but I will put in Meryl Streep)

Best Actor
Clash of the titans! Forest Whitaker has given the most critically praised performance, and has swept all of the precursors, but there is 7 Oscar time loser Peter O’Toole. Can the Academy really let this legend go home empty handed a record 8th time?? I have hope in humanity and think they will give it to O’Toole. Besides the Academy still has an underlying racist attitude. I will probably be way off on this, but this is also my personal hope.
Prediction – Peter O’Toole (Alt – Forest Whitaker)

Best Director
Marty Marty Marty. Only Clint can upset, which is doubtful.
Prediction – Martin Scorsese (Alt – Clint Eastwood)

Best Picture
4 possible winners. All with a good shot. I want to be brave enough to predict Little Miss Sunshine, but still think it is too slight to be an Oscar winner. Letters From Iwo Jima could pull through as older Academy voters will feel it is a big important film, and more likeable than Babel. Babel is a message movie for today, mainly coasting on the Japanese story line….which is a story line powerful enough to win. Lastly The Departed. Everyone likes it, but many feel it is too bloody for a win. A Scorsese film has never won Best Picture!
Prediction – The Departed (Alt – Little Miss Sunshine)

Best Foreign Film Pan’s Labyrinth (alt: The Lives of Others)

Best Original Score Pan’s Labyrinth (alt: The Queen)

Best Original Song Listen - Dreamgirls (alt: I Need to Wake Up – An Inconvenient Truth)

Best Art Direction Pan’s Labyrinth (alt: Dreamgirls)

Best Cinematography Children of Men (alt: Pan’s Labyrinth)

Best Costume Design Dreamgirls (alt: The Devil Wears Prada)

Best Editing United 93 (alt: The Departed)

Best Sound Mixing Dreamgirls (alt: Blood Diamond)

Best Sound Editing Apocalypto (alt: Letters from Iwo Jima)

Best Documentary An Inconvenient Truth (alt: Iraq in Fragments)

Best Make Up Pan’s Labyrinth (alt: Apocalypto)

Best Animated Picture Happy Feet (alt: Cars)

Best Visual Effects Pirates of the Caribbean:2 (alt: Superman Returns)


There we go. Lets see how I do. I am leaning more towards the conservative Academy voter on this one, especially after last year.

No comments: