Thursday 21 August 2008

Beating Dead Horse

I know I am boarder line obsessed with trying to remind myself that Madonna is an power house musical talent. 'Hard Candy' disappointed me on so many levels that I cannot even think about it without getting mad. I may even have to lover my 'B-' grade to a 'C'. Even 'Give it 2 Me' is starting to get boring.

What is getting to me is I an usually find a few tracks to grab on to, but aside from 'Incredible' there is nothing....nada...ziltch. Oh I hope she gets back into the studio soon. I even think I figured out what went wrong. It is all producers and very little Madonna on this record.

Anyway....enough Michael!! (I so need someone to come over and give me a Cher slap)

So I took the advise of Jose over at Movies Kick Ass and have gone through her entire back catalogue and will now give my top 15 album tracks that are better than anything on 'Hard Candy'.

15 - I Love New York - Just makes me wanna dance like a spaz.

14 - Back in Business - she will show us the brighter side of living in sin.

13 - Candy Perfume Girl - The only candy of hers I like.

12 - White Heat - I wore my cassette copy out listening to this.

11 - Secret Garden - She takes on jazz house and wins.

10 - Spanish Eyes - One of the best songs about AIDS ever written.

9 - Easy Ride - Musically this is stunning. Her album closers are always so interesting.

8 - X-Static Process
- One of the loveliest songs she has ever sung.

7 - Skin - just sonic-ally brilliant.

6 - Impressive Instant - Dance floor gold. Should have been a single.

5 - Nobody's Perfect - This is the album she took the most musical risks on. It paid off.

4 - Let it will Be
- Fantastic track and she performed the hell out of it on stage.

3 - Till Death Do Us Part - So emotionally raw and honest, hidden behind a light and frothy beat. Clever girl.

2 - Mer Girl
- Just...WOW (the video is a bit strange)

1 - Gone - Perfect. I do miss her ballads.

2 comments:

NATHANIEL R said...

i love a lot of these songs. and though I like the Hard Candy record more than you I agree that it's not relistenable in the way I expected it would be given that I still listen to nearly all of her other cds give or take.

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Hehehe that's the spirit!
I worship "Skin" and "Gone" to freaky levels.