Tuesday 30 December 2008

My Top 15 songs of 2008

Because I am not a fan of 10.

In Alphabetical order too.


Adele – ‘Hometown Glory’

This is a song that is so beautiful and dramatic, that even on a rainy cold day, you can still love the city you’re in.


Christian Falk feat Robyn – ‘Dream On’
Robyn continues to dominate with Falk on this lovely dance pop ballad what just makes you wanna sing along with her.


Cyndi Lauper – ‘Raging Storm’
This is one of the most complex dance songs out all year. The lyrics are astonishing. Something intelligent to listen to on the dance floor.


Duffy – ‘Mercy’
The British soul invasion continues with this 60’s throw back. No other song this year was able to get under your skin quite like this.


Elbow – ‘Weather to Fly’
I have already waxed lyrical about this song, but my God is it ever beautiful and dramatic. I can’t get enough of it…could be 15 minutes longer.


Grace Jones – ‘Williams Blood’
The woman comes back with one of the most personal and honest songs in years. An anthem for the freaks in all of us.


Hercules and Love Affair – ‘Blind’
Anthony’s voice sounds like beautiful despair. I would never have guessed how perfect it would fit 80’s disco. Brilliant.


Keane – ‘Spiraling’
The 80’s continue with a complete turn of face for the British band. From quiet melancholy tunes to this….fantastic.


Kings of Leon – ‘Closer’
Another one of those songs you expect to be hearing in TV shows and movies anytime soon. So chilling and powerful.


Lykke Li – ‘Little Bit’
Swedish chicks owned 2008. Not only is the song brilliant, and the album, but so are her video’s. The quietest dance song ever.


Madonna – ‘Incredible’
The album, let’s face it, was rubbish. However this was the track that I have not stopped listening to all year. With recent news it becomes heartbreaking.


MGMT – ‘Kids’
I do not know a single person who does not love this track. Really….I don’t. Everyone I have played it to has fallen in love.


Santogold – ‘L.E.S. Artistes’
Should have been much bigger than it was. A combination of brilliant productions, wonderful lyrics and a killer hook. Pop never sounded so fresh.


Solange – ‘I Decided’
Beyonce who? Solange wiped the floor with her sister in terms of quality with this. Such a shame it didn’t catch on.


The Streets – ‘The Escapist’
Whenever I hate the city, I close my eyes and think about my vacation in Spain, and play this track and all is right with the world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love all of those!!!! OMG, seriously!

RC said...

woa -- very 80s!

Michael Parsons said...

I know, everything is very very retro! I guess that was my mood of the year!