Friday 30 January 2009

'Push' - Read, read, and read again.

That it right folks. Sapphire's first novel is in the middle of being read for the third time through. I first opened the pages on Monday evening and have since read this amazing, haunting and courageous novel two and a half times.

Through limited vocabulary and slang speech, Claireece "Precious" Jones tells her story of survival. Sapphire proves that you do not need long sentences and an extensive vocabulary to paint the world around you. Through her broken writing, Precious grasps the reader and plunges them into her world so extensively you feel you lived it with her.

Had I read this book before I knew of the film being made from it I would say this story is unfilmable.
It is just too harsh.
But now that it has, I cannot wait to see what these brave film makers have done.

Throughout all the abuse inflicted on this girl, the most disturbing thing to me is the fact that the author taught girls like this, and perhaps heard stories much worse than those of Precious Jones.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've just finished reading it myself, its such a good book. CANNOT wait for the movie, right with you there buddy.

Unknown said...

LIONSGATE JUST BOUGHT PUSH ITS ON VARIETY AND OPRAH AND TYLER PERRY ARE BEHIND IT YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=festivals&jump=story&id=2470&articleid=VR1117999429&cs=1


WOOOOOOOOOO

Dame James said...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20090202/en_movies_eo/81904

It looks like, once again, Oprah is saving the day!