Wednesday 7 April 2010

Comeback Special

So Winona Ryder is joining a Ron Howard comedy (apparently beating out Uma Thurman and Kate Beckinsale for the role) called 'Your Cheating Heart' (or 'Cheaters') in which she plays wife to Kevin James. Vince Vaughn plays the best friend to James who discovers that Ryder is cheating on her husband.
With this news, and Ryder just wrapped filming on Darren Aronofsky's 'Black Swan' people are shouting the words "COME BACK" all over the place. Talk about pressure.

Imagine if both films flop, the spin will be it was her fault. Build 'em up, knock 'em down - an all too familiar and disgusting human characteristic.
Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE casting news. I like to project awards potential, imagine my enthusiastic reaction to the film when I see it, picture the rave reviews and finally day dream about the name - fresh from the envelope - being read out.

I do all this in my head, but try not to get carried away on here too often (I know, I know I was a 'Precious' Nazi last year before I saw it - but in defence it did combine so many great loves of mine).
Well I sometimes get carried away, but not often by news like "Pretty white lady gets lead role in film". I start getting excited once a rave review comes out - or trailer.

Back to Ryder though. This latest casting tid bit is kind of cool though. I much prefer dark modern day Ryder over period piece Ryder.
Here is hoping she does good, but for me, I prefer a comeback when the downfall is not self inflicted.
There are far too many great women not getting chances out there. Expand the pool Hollywood.



_____________________________________________________

No comments: