Sunday 11 March 2007

I LOVE Madonna (part 2)



The Music.

(from the sleeve notes of ‘Something to Remember’ released November 7th, 1995)

"So much controversy has swirled around my career, that very little attention ever gets paid to my music. The songs are all but forgotten."

Can I have an A - MEN!!!! This is the main reason I love this woman. Her music. Not everything is a success (What the hell was she thinking with ‘One More Chance’?) but when she is on, boy is she on. She has recorded, what will go down in history as, some of the best pop music ever.

So I will celebrate what I think are the 25 best Madonna songs so far. Let me know if you feel I have been totally idiotic and left off something you think should be on here.



25 - Dress You Up A confident, fun and sexy floor filler. (album - Like a Virgin)

24 - Skin Why this wasn’t released as a club single I will never know. (album - Ray of Light)

23 - Till Death Do Us Part Dark and personal lyrics to a light poppy beat makes it all the more disturbing (album - Like a Prayer)

22 - Drowned World/Substitute For Love Grows better and better with each listen. (album - Ray of Light)

21 - La Isla Bonita I can smell the salt and coconut suntan lotion when I hear this song (album - True Blue)

20 - X-Static Process A small and quietly beautiful record where she duets with herself. Stuart Price can do anything. (album - American Life)

19 - Into The Groove - A song about dancing (or sex depending on which groove she means). Timeless. (album - Like a Virgin UK edition)

18 - Live to Tell Her first mature record. Still fresh today and musically and lyrically risky (album - True Blue)

17 - Impressive Instant One of the most silly and infectious dance floor fillers ever. (album - Music)

16 - Nothing Fails A beautiful almost acoustic love song, then out of nowhere that choir!!! The heart soars. (album - American Life)

15 - Express Yourself The female anthem and one of her funkiest tracks. (album - Like a Prayer)

14 - American Life Under rated. (album - American Life)

13 - Candy Perfume Girl Madonna at her most lyrically interesting, and rockiest. (album - Ray of Light)

12 - Keep it Together Pure soul and funk, and great message. (album - Like a Prayer)

11 - Erotica Makes me wanna go out to a sex club. (album - Erotica)

10 - I Love New York This is probably her most joyous record since Ray of Light. You can just imagine her smiling away in the recording booth and dancing around laughing as she sings of her love for the city that made her a star. Bonus points for she manages to use the word ‘dork’. Pure brilliance!! "Other cities always make me mad, other places always make me sad. No other city ever made me glad except New York!!! I love New York!!!" (album - Confessions on a Dance Floor)

9 - Holiday Madonna’s first message song, and in fact her first chart hit, and still the most relevant. One of those songs that could life the darkest heart. You just wanna grab the person next to you on the dance floor and hug them while jumping around in circles singing along at the top of your voice. Everyone was so disappointed she did not sing this in her last tour. I still remember hearing this on the radio in the car when I was 9, and I was hooked. A bouncy little whirl without end!!! “holiday!! Celebration!! Come together in every nation!” (album - Madonna)

8 - Don’t Tell Me How many people thought they had purchased a defected CD when they first heard this. Music stores reported many people trying to return the CD only to be told it was intentional. Brilliant use of guitar and stop/start mixing. This was a surprise it was even released as it was not the most obvious commercial choice for a single, but proved to be a big success, I even think it was played on country radio in the states. Showed that the audience were yearning for something a little different. “Tell the bed not to lay, like the open mouth of a grave”. (album - Don't Tell Me)

7 - Oh Father One of the most haunting songs she has recorded. Although she has claimed to not have a great singing voice, her honesty in this recording makes up for lack of range. One of the stand outs on a brilliant album. Stunning work and painful in its confession and anger! “Maybe someday, when I look back I'll be able to say, you didn't mean to be cruel. Somebody hurt you too” (album - Like a Prayer)

6 - The Beast Within/Justify My Love Technically a remix, but one of her best. Like the musical equivalent of The Exorcist, but with less violence and more seduction. Controvery when this came out, and religious groups called her anti-semetic until she pointed out she was just reading the bible. The original was a long slow orgasmic climax of a song. Gives you dirty thoughts just listening to it. What ever the controversy the remix and the original were sexy brilliance. “Poor is the man, whose pleasures depend, on the permission of another” (album - justify my Love single)

5 - Mer Girl She sang this in one take in the recording studio, and it is like listening to a private therapy session. When I heard this I realised just how she had set herself free. She was no longer bound to pop’s conventions. She was making music for herself. William Orbits production sets the serious and personal mood. This is probably her best song that no one knows “I ran from my house, that cannot contain me, from the man that I cannot keep” (album - Ray of Light)

4 - Gone The last song on the Music album and the best. A guitar driven ballad explaining why she keeps going, and what drives her to continue even when her critics try to beat her down. Like ‘Mer Girl’ this finds Madonna at her most personal and what am amazing way to end an album. All the more poignant since the American Life controversy and U.S. backlash towards her. “Turn to stone, lose my faith, I’ll be gone before it happens” (album - Music)

3 - Ray of Light I would not be surprised if she was actually flying at the speed of light while singing this. The chorus leaps over buildings and takes you to dizzying heights. This is what happiness sounds like if you were able to capture happiness in a song. This also showed of her new post-Evita vocal range. To think Celine Dion’s – ‘My Heart Will Go On’ beat it for best song at the Grammy’s. What a huge mistake. “And I feel like I just got home” And so did we. (album - Ray of Light)

2 - Let it Will Be The highest point on Confessions of the Dance Floor. From the music productions, to her voice, and lyrics. I can't understand why it was not released as a single, even just for the clubs and DJ’s. This is pure dance floor perfection. “Now I can see things for what they really are, I guess I'm not that far, I'm at the point of no return. Just watch me burn” (album - Confessions on a Dance Floor)

1 - Like a Prayer I am sure you are not surprised. I pretty much think this is everyone’s favourite Madonna track. From the guitar riff/heaven’s angels opening, to the gospel choir’s knees up dance-a-thon at the end. This is where she became an icon and proved her musical worth to her harshest detractors. Most critics who thought she was a flash in the pan, had to eat their words and finally see her as more than a gimick. This is the song you don’t want to ever end, you want it to go on forever and keep you dancing at the church of Madonna far into your next life. (album - Like a Prayer)

26 - 75 are in the comments!!

7 comments:

Gingerina's Parlour said...

Hi
Nice to see a list of your fave Madonna songs. Funny that there's quite a few I don't know! That's because I'm getting old and not keeping up!

I was also surprised to read that the PSB's had done a re-mix of Madonna's 'Sorry' - I'll have to have a listen to that one I think...

Michael Parsons said...

the remix by the PSB's is a little predictable.

Most of the songs on the list are ones that weren't released as singles.

Poli said...

No Material Girl? Live a Virgin? No Madonna in her prime?

Just kidding! Nice list. I, unfortunately, only have Confessions on a Dance Floor and nothing else, so my Madonna is quite rusty. Maybe you could give the CDs for all of these songs? You have some but not all.

Oh, and in all seriousness, was "Papa Don't Preach" even considered? I know it's probably not her best (not anywhere near it, actually) but I have a real soft spot for that song.

Michael Parsons said...

It is lower on the list. I will post the whole list in the comments tonight. I will also do the albums tonight!

Michael Parsons said...

I did this whole thing based on a points system out of 100. There are only about 20 points between the bottom of the top 75 and the number 1.

26 Burning Up - Madonna
27 What It Feels Like For a Girl - Music
28 Secret Garden - Erotica
29 Borderline - Madonna
30 Hollywood - American Life
31 Hung Up - Confessions on a Dance Floor
32 Love Song - Like a Prayer
34 Sky Fits Heaven - Ray of Light
35 Push - Confessions on a Dance Floor
36 Isaac - Confessions on a Dance Floor
37 Bedtime Story - Bedtime Story
38 Music - Music
39 Lament - Evita
40 Spanish Eyes - Like a Prayer
42 Who's That Girl - Who's That Girl
43 Dear Jessie - Like a Prayer
44 Get Together - Confessions on a Dance Floor
45 Material Girl - Like a Virgin
46 I Deserve It - Music
47 Angel - Like a Virgin
72 Crazy For You - Immaculate Collection
48 Everybody - Madonna
49 Nobody's Perfect - Music
50 Like it or Not - Confessions on a Dance Floor
51 Causing a Commotion - Who's That Girl
52 Cherish - Like a Prayer
53 More - I'm Breathless
54 Love Profusion - American Life
55 White Heat - True Blue
57 Swim - Ray of Light
58 I'd Be Surprisingly Good For You - Evita
59 Deeper and Deeper - Erotica
60 Paradise (Not For Me) - Music
61 Promise to Try - Like a Prayer
62 Furture Lovers - Confessions on a Dance Floor
63 Beautiful Stranger - GHV2
92 Open Your Heart - True Blue
65 Hanky Panky - I'm Breathless
66 Sorry - Confessions on a Dance Floor
67 Easy Ride - American Life
68 Rescue Me - Immaculate Collection
69 Waltz for Evita and Che - Evita
70 Bad Girl - Erotica
71 Take a Bow - Bedtime Story
73 Supernatural - Cherish - single
56 Shanti/Ashtangi - Ray of Light
74 The Look of Love - Who's That Girl
75 Why's It So Hard - Erotica

Anonymous said...

Definitely agree with Like a Prayer being number one. It's not only from her best album, but it is the song that started her on the path to true infamy.

What it feels like for a girl - now that is an under-rated song.

Anonymous said...

I'd definitely have 'Nothing Fails' in the top 10 of all Madonna songs, and I still wonder why she never released it or did a video. I'd also have 'Live to Tell', 'Into the Groove', 'Get Together' and 'Express Yourself' in the top 10 too. I have to agree with Robyn that 'What It Feels Like for a Girl' is underated - most definitely Grammy worthy. Or did it get its just kudos?