Wednesday 14 March 2007

I LOVE Madonna (part 4)



The Remixes

Whenever Madonna releases a single I, for one, cannot wait to see how the various DJ’s and producers she commissions to remix it have done. Most of the time nothing really grabs me, but occasionally a DJ can improve, if not equal, the original version. I especially love the fact that she sometimes allows a complete change of the original version. Lets face it, the woman loves to dance!

12 Nobody Knows Me (Above and Beyond Mix) (Love Profusion single) The way it get faster and faster almost makes me want to have a heart attack. My feet cannot keep up.

11) Take A Bow (InDaSoul Mix) (Take a Bow single) Takes a beautiful ballad and gives it a funky and very sexy r-n-b vibe. (not available to listen to on-line)

10) Jump (Axwell Club Mix) (Jump single) This is one of her remixes that was meant to be played in a hard core club. Dancing to this at Fire I thought I had died and gone to clubbers heaven.

9) What It Feels Like For a Girl (Above and Beyond Remix) (What it Feels Like For a Firl single) This was a very risky idea to release the music video with this remix. Although the verse is gone, it still retains the originals message.

8) Hollywood (Oakenfold 12" Full Remix) (Hollywood single) A lot of people like The Thin White Duke mix better, but I think this works as a remix so much better. Her work with Oakenfold is fantastic.

7) Get Together (Jacques Lu Cont Mix) (Get Together single) Totally reinvents this tune from a club floor ready cut, to a more acoustic cocktail bar lounger. I love the use of guitar in this. Stuart Price is a genius.

6) American Life (Oakenfold Downtempo Radio Edit) (American Life single) Improves so much on the original. More r-n-b than dance, this mix deserves to played loud in the car.

5) Ray of God (Madonna vs Sex Pistols) (bootleg) Nice little bootleg of Ray of Light and God Save The Queen. But you know it works bloody well. I remember hearing this in New York and thrashing about on the dance floor as my inner punk escaped.

4) Like A Prayer (Church Acapella Mix) (Remixed Prayers) Take it down to almost nothing, and it still retains its beauty. The best bit is at the end when the choir’s clapping hands adds the beat, the tambourines add the shimmy and you can still get down! (not available to listen to on-line)

3) Ray of light (William Orbit Liquid Mix) (Ray of Light single) Another case of why go faster for a remix. Of all the commissioned remixes of Ray of Light, this is the only one that worked, mainly because Orbit knows the song so well, and what it can be capable of. Especially love the bass break before the beat kicks in. (not available to listen to on-line)

2) Sorry (Green Velvet Mix) (Sorry single) Took a pure poppy disco anthem and turned it into a dirty dance floor filler. Took the song to a whole new lever, and improved upon it!!

1) Holiday (Madonna vs Stardust) (White Label) There was talk of releasing this as a single. I wish they had! Amazing use of the mash up and a great interpretation of her first big hit. I still remember being in Heaven and bouncing off the walls with my bleached hair to this. That was indeed heaven.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am love love loving the Axwell Jump mix AND video. Where have I been. And le parkour as well. HOT.