Saturday 18 August 2007

To put it Bluntly

Jim Broadbent and Miranda Richardson have joined Emily Blunt in drama The Young Victoria, directed by Jean-Marc Vallee and produced by Graham King and Martin Scorsese's GK Films.

The story is about Victoria's (Blunt) rise to power in England with a focus on the difficult early years of her reign and her romance and marriage to Prince Albert (Rupert Friend) . Broadbent will play King William and
Richardson will portray the Duchess of Kent. Mark Strong has also joined the cast as Conroy.

I do find it difficult to believe that Emily Blunt is going to look like Judi Dench when she ages, but stranger things have happened.
I know I am one of the few out there who is not overly enamored with Blunt. Sure she served a purpose in “The Devil Wears Prada” but was not the be all and end all that critics made her out to be (or at least I didn’t see it).
I actually found her acting over the top in an amateurish way.
(cringes in the corner waiting for a bombardment of hate)

However, I have not seen “My Summer of Love” and by all accounts I hear she is gangbusters in it.
Lets hope that she the talented actress everyone thinks she is, as the woman has seven movies coming out.
Out of these there are a few noteworthy pics. Obviously “The Young Victoria” but also she will be seen in “Charlie Wilson’s War” with Tom Hanks and Julia Robert. She obviously loved the Hanks, as she will team up with him again in “The Great Buck Howard” about the career of an illusionist.
“The Jane Austin Book Club” will be chick flick heaven, but the most interesting will be “Sunshine Cleaning” with Amy Adams. The premise for this comedy is about a mother who, in order to raise the tuition to send her young son to private school, starts an unusual business -- a biohazard removal/crime scene clean-up service -- with her unreliable sister. Sounds CRAZY and KOOKY, and almost so bad it could be brilliant.

But back to “Victoria”. I recently watched the last film Jean-Marc Vallee directed, the brilliant C.R.A.Z.Y. which I urge you all to see. He seems to have a great gift with actors, which is always a plus for a director.
Also with Broadbent and Richardson providing no-doubt amazing support, Blunt should be in safe hands. I am of the strong belief that you are as good as the rest of your cast. If good enough, you co-stars can elevate you to great heights, or perhaps perceived heights.

3 comments:

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

I adored her in Prada and she was kinda freaky in Summer, but both were kinda bitchy roles, so I wonder if she can play nice and sweet too.

Michael Parsons said...

So many adored her in 'Prada'. I am one of the few who didn't. I actually think Becki Newton does a much better rendition in Ugly Betty.

But that is just me.

Anonymous said...

OMG, someone else thinks the same. How over rated was she!