Tuesday 30 October 2007

An Actor I cannot look at, in movies I want to see!

A few minutes after it was announced that he'd be playing a wrestler in “The Wrestler”, it's been announced that Nicolas Cage is also planning to search for someone who's vanished in, “The Vanished”
(really, come on now ‘title’ people, a little imagination. Imagine if you thought up all movie titles! We would have “The Little Person with the Evil Ring”, “Gay Cowboys” and “The German Almost Trans-Gendered Lead Singer of a Band”

Anyway Cage's character is a father who goes searching for his college-aged son, "American born Muslim son" who's missing overseas.

We're thinking that the use of that phrase above means that this is, in essence, the story of someone not a million miles from John Walker Lindh, the American college student who went to live in Afghanistan and fight alongside the Taliban.

The film marks the English-language directorial debut of Hany Abu-Assad, the Palestinian-born director of the really wonderful "Paradise Now".

It's set to shoot in April, as soon as Cage finishes The Wrestler for Darren Aronofsky.

I just wanted to put this out there. Both of these films I really want to see, “The Vanished” because it sounds like a very good premise, and “The Wrestler” because I love Aronofsky. But I am f*cking pissed I have to go and watch Nicolas Cage’s face in these.
He is one of those actors that I find it hard to watch. He does so much sh*t that it tarnishes any good project he does. I find him unwatchable…I couldn’t even post a picture – hence the pic of the two leads in “Paradise Now”. If you haven’t seen the film, I urge you to!

1 comment:

RC said...

cage...he's a tough actor to truly embrace...most people like one or two of his films...but you can't really collectively like everything he does.

i don't know why...maybe it's a lack of talent, but at the same time the ability to land in decent films...who knows?