Sunday 21 October 2007

"Get off my Oscar!"

The results are here from my poll.

I asked who you felt deserved the Best Actress Oscar back in 1988.

The results were this time around were VERY surprising. I knew we all were happy little Jodie Foster won an Oscar back at the time, but I had no idea how much you all LOVED another.

Perhaps it is because Oscar history has not been to kind and welcoming, or perhaps in hindsight it is the best. (my personal vote went to Meryl Streep for A Cry in the Dark…it will always be my favourite)

Here come the results

5) With 0% of the votes we have Melanie Griffith – “Working Girl”
4) With 7% of the votes we have Jodie Foster (our eventual winner) – “The Accused”
3) With 9% of the votes we have Glenn Close – “Dangerous Liasons” (I thought she would win this with no problems)
2) With 11% of the votes we have the lovely Meryl Streep – “A Cry in the Dark”
1) With a whopping 74% we have Sigourney Weaver – “Gorillas in the Mist”.

I am surprised, but very pleasantly so. I always thought Sissy would win for this, and I was shocked she didn’t. Her performance of Dian Fossey was passionate, emotional and urgent. The role fit her like a glove. She has an exquisite tenderness and tact in her delicate scenes with wild animals. It is impossible to imagine a more appropriate choice for this.

Oscar did not think so.

For my next poll we will be looking ahead in the Best Supporting Actress category, 1988.
The women you have to choose from are:

Geena Davis - The Accidental Tourist
Joan Cusack - Working Girl
Frances McDormand - Mississippi Burning
Michelle Pfeiffer - Dangerous Liaisons
Sigourney Weaver - Working Girl


Vote now!!

Poll is in the side bar to the right, near the top.

No comments: