Wednesday 14 November 2007

The State of the (yawn) race.

You know what?
I am not excited about the race this year.
Sure that will all change in a few weeks, but I have my sisters wedding and Christmas coming up to tend with, so Oscars are not my main thought right now.

For a blogger (albeit a tiny one on the blog-o-spere) who mainly talks about movies, awards, and performances this could be deemed as sacrilege, but I do not really care. A this point in time we all know two very important things: Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress are the weakest category in ages, but the Actors are a different story.
The most probable reason for my apathy is that I love actresses so much, it’s like flames..on the side of my face..heaving breaths.
With no super strong contenders this years race is BLAH. If I were to say who would win in each category, right now, I would say this (and be SO wrong):

Best Picture: Atonement
Best Director: The Coen Brothers
Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis ( the performance is probably strong enough to over come unlikeability)
Best Actress: Laura Linney
Best Supporting Actor: Javier Barden
Best Supporting Actress: Saoirse Ronan

But that is just me not really caring…..when I start to care (around the time the Globes announce) my heart will interfere and I will change these all for other films and performances.

In the mean time I wll look to next year when my Kate will win her long overdue trophy and the Actress categories will be over run with brilliance. I have also decided (to help me get back into the Oscar spirit) to do the Best Supporting Actresses in Pictures like I did for the leads….because it was fun!

Toodles….off to see “Eastern Promises”!

2 comments:

RC said...

interesting call on laura linney for the win, since i feel like her nomination is not so locked up. I think i'd go with Julie Christie myself.

i don't know...if you ask me at this point the boring race is the lead males...it's been teetering between the same 7 for the whole season...

once there announced...trying to figure out who'll win the best actor race will be interesting.

Michael Parsons said...

I just feel Laura is due. If she can pull a nomination I think she could get it. Cate has won, Keira, Ellen, Marion, and Amy are young and can still win in the future. Julie has one already, as does Jodie.
HOWEVER! If Helena B. C. is great then this could be a whole new kettle of fish.