Friday 11 July 2008

The girls of "Sex and the City"

I love that show with a passion. It is simply wonderful and really captures the complexity of friendships. The bad times and the good times, the arugments and the laughter. What I also like is although the show is all about Carrie, you get to see how the other three women interact with each other, how there own relationships with each other work.

there are so many defining moment for each character, but there are some that speak to me so much, making me like them even more.

Charlotte was always the weakest character for me. I could never understand how she would be friends with the other three. That was until the episode in season four "All The Glitters". Charlotte's marriage is practically over and it hits home with her as she gets ready to have home and Garden come and photograph her 'perfect' life.

As much as I loved Samantha, she always seemed like the comic relief gimmick of the show. I could understand her friendship and there were so many touching moments with the rest of the girls, but it wasn't until season six "Let There Be Light". Sam leaves her boy toy Smith in the lobby as she goes upstairs with Richard for a good ole root. When she comes down, feeling awful, Smith is there waiting for her and she looks at him and cries "I don't know what's wrong with me" the most vulnerable moment for Sam and did it bring on the water works for me too.

Everyone loves Carrie. She is so pesky and fun, and so so flawed. But the episode that defined her for me was "The Drought" in season one. Carrie farts in bed with Big. Not only was it so funny, but watching someone so confident completely fall apart at the thought of a fart is so touchingly sweet, especially the hurricane she makes out of that tiny little 'ferp'.

My favorite will always be Miranda. She is probably the most complex, and funniest in the show for me. you can understand why she is friends with each of the girls and she always stays Miranda, even as she softens. The moment that she became a fully rounded person for me was in "Ex and the City" season 2. After running away from Steve on the street she has to confront him when he shows up at her apartment calling her shitty. She admits how she misses him and cries. The hard edges of her soften.

No comments: