Saturday 20 December 2008

Except my Oscar. I'll give up all that other stuff, but only if I get to keep my Oscar.

I thought the voting for the 1993 Best Actress race was going to be a lot closer than it ended up being. I know you are all waiting with breath that is baited for the results. So with out further adieu:

In 5th place with no votes at all we find this year Best Supporting Actress Oscar hopeful Debra Winger for 'Shadowlands'

In 4th Place with not much better results we have Stockard 'I should work more than I do' Channing with 2% of the votes for 'Six Degrees of Separation'.

In 3rd place previous winner and Oscar winner Emma Thompson comes in with 7% of the votes for 'The Remains of the Day'.

In 2nd place we have the eventual Oscar winner Holly Hunter in 'The Piano' with 31% of the votes

So that means ladies and gentlemen that the first place winner is

Angela Bassett as Tina Turner in 'What's Love Got to Do with It?' with a whopping 61% of the votes.

And it is not surprising. The woman was so unforgettable and brilliant as Turner that by the end of the film you have actually forgotten what the real Tina Turner looks like. She became the woman both on and off stage.
This performance went beyond mere mimicry and set a very high bar for bio pic performance.

Well done Angela. May you get you chance to actually win the damn thing soon!

Now to the Best Supporting Actress of 1993:



3 comments:

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

You know I was never really impressed by Angela in this film, at least not in the way that I LOVE Holly Hunter in "The Piano".
I don't get how many people still believe Bassett was robbed, when Hunter was just so good.
If I was the Academy I'd have given "The Piano" every award over the overrated "Schindler's List", especially Jane Campion and Michael Nyman's gorgeous score (which I think wasn't even nominated).

Anonymous said...

I also think that. Angela Bassett is fantastic (She should win in this awful 1994 with Lange, Ryder, Richardson, Foster and Sarandon), but for me, she's in third place in 1993 behind Holly Hunter (One of the BEST Oscar Winners in acting categories) and Juliette Binoche (Who was AWFULLY snubbed by lesser performances from Sctockard Channing and Debra Winger. AMPAS didn't see Blue? :S).

The Piano is a masterpiece and I think the film and Jane Campion should became the first women director who won an Oscar. Well, unleast Cannes did the right thing

Michael Parsons said...

I have to say this is where the waters are murky for me. I watch 'The Piano' and totally think Holly should have won. Then I watch Angela in this film and I am like "No no, totally Angies Oscar".
In the end this is the one that stands out for me. I wouldn't say Angela was robbed at all, I just think there were two very strong performances that year, and only one prize.
The white girl won out in the end.