Wednesday 10 December 2008

New York Film Critic Predictions


Lets see how I do with these shots in the dark.

Best Picture: They have liked Mike Leigh films before so I am thinking ‘Happy Go Lucky’ will be high on their list. Or will they go Epic Blockbuster and reward ‘The Dark Knight’. Perhaps they will listen to the pulse of the nation and allow ‘Slumdog’ or ‘Milk’ in.

I predict: ‘The Dark Knight’ alt ‘Happy-Go-Lucky’

Best Director: They seem to go for Directors that have been able to handle what could have been a very difficult story, and making it seen easy. Does Danny Boyle win this? Perhaps David Fincher will impress them with the challenge he faced? Will the return to form of Jonathan Demme impress them? I think it may be between two ‘genre’ films that broke out of their respective boxes and became something else.

I predict. Christopher Nolan – ‘The Dark Knight’ alt ‘Jonathan Demme – Rachel Getting Married’

Best Actor: I am thinking this is mainly between Richard Jenkins and Mickey Rourke, with a possible upset from Clint Eastwood. They like the performance to be epic (Daniel Day Lewis) and also very very quiet (Heath Ledger).

I predict: Mickey Rourke – ‘The Wrestler’ alt Richard Jenkins – ‘The Visitor’

Best Actress: They seem to like a quiet emotional performance. A performance that leaves it’s mark and makes you think that no-one else could play it.

I predict: Sally Hawkins – ‘Happy Go Lucky’ alt Michelle Williams – ‘Wendy and Lucy’

Ugh…getting tired of typing…hung over. I am just going to shorten things now.

Best Supporting Actor: They like a comedy and they like a villain

I predict. Heath Ledger – ‘The Dark Knight’ alt Robert Downey, Jr. – ‘Tropic Thunder’

Best Supporting Actress: They LOVE an underdog in this category. Good actresses giving great performances.

I predict. Viola Davis – ‘Doubt’ alt Rosemarie DeWitt – ‘Rachel Getting Married’

Best Screenplay: Smaller films about family and friends do well here, and well as unusual stories

I predict. ‘Rachel Getting Married’ alt ‘Happy Go Lucky’

What do you think???

No comments: