Sunday 25 February 2007

What's up with all the haters??

As we approach the end of the movie year, capped off by the Academy Awards, I would like to just have a think about the voice of the bloggers (including me).
Ever since Little Miss Sunshine won the PGA there has been a general consensus that if this translated to Oscar, it would be remembered as one of Oscars all time blunders.
Why is this? I ask this question, not because I think it is one of the best films of the year, or that it will win, but more because I cannot understand the sentiment.
Right now we live in a pretty f*cked up world. The films this year represent that. Corrupt cops and gun control, People not communicating with each other because of differences, disillusionment with our officials, elected or otherwise and the horror of war. Pretty damn bleak stuff and all very important messages.
In time, when I look back at the nominated movies, I will not think “Wow, what a great line up!”. Instead I will probably think “Yeah, 2006 was pretty damn weak.”
Little Miss Sunshine is my favourite movie in the line up. It sent out a nice little message about the joys of trying, even if you fail. It also featured a sympathetic gay character that did not conform to stereotype, and a little girl that saw the good in everyone.

So forgive me in burying my head in the sand and taking solace in the dysfunctional family in a yellow mini bus who stand by each other out of love. So to the nay-sayers – What’s to hate?

May you all enjoy the Oscar show tonight, and remember….they are just awards handed out by a collective of rich white people who are very out of touch with reality whose only real purpose is to once again prove that we, the fans of film, have better taste.

Don’t take it too seriously, besides, nothing can be worse than Black Sunday.

1 comment:

feenixboi said...

Can I quote you on that? "Don't take it too seriously....just awards" We still all get caught up in the drama of it all.

I hope I get to see Joan bitch about dresses tonight although I don't think we get that in England....here's hoping :)