Sunday 8 April 2007

Blades of Glory be to God....


I admit I kind of want to see this movie, most probably on DVD where it will be best appreciated. I am however in two minds about the 'gay' aspect of it. I realise that this is the main joke for it is true that figure skating is considered a gay mans sport, and rightly so, I mean sequins are involved. I do trust that Farrell is conscious enough not to make a 'lets laugh at the pansies' movie, but I still would rather watch it in the safety of my own home. There is no worse feeling than being the butt of a joke that is on wide distribution.
Then again I have not seen it, only read reviews, so perhaps I should refer judgement.
I am not one of those gay boys who complain about gay stereotypes being used in movies/TV. Stereotypes are there for a reason; they will only go away when we all (and I include sexual/racial/religious/financial stereotypes in this) stop living up to them, which we never will. I mean I am gay and like Madonna, musicals and the Oscars which some say are very typical of the homosexual, but I ain't changin’!!
Perhaps instead of cringing at being depicted in these ways, we should celebrate them. I mean isn’t that what having pride is, celebrating each other, flaws and all?
So I leave you with this…..go on, call me a fag, I don’t care.

3 comments:

feenixboi said...

I won't be watching this with you. Look this is a movie written by straight guys, acted by straight guys for a straight guy and their date audience. The jokes are as follows... Older guy in tight leotard; ridiculous hair; overly whitened teeth; a few funny one liners; then a thin plot based around the fact that they need to win an ice skating contest involving much groping and lifting by said two guys. You know what if it is funny then great. But 9 times out of 10 this is just schlop dished out by the studios who are demanding the Farrell et al SNL alumnae to churn out these bum fillers. I can just see the concepting of this movie. Oh like dude those ice skaters are like soooo gay there's gotta be a funny movie there..... hmmm whatever.

Brian Erickson said...

I saw this...it was pretty funny.

Anonymous said...

I really thought Farrell had turned a corner with his role in 'Stranger than Fiction' but no, here he goes again with a weak, one joke movie. He proved he had some acting talent along side Thompson, Hoffman and Gyllenhaal and has not built on that, what a shame, his loss. Guess he will never shake off the SNL formula like so many others before him, it must be a curse.