Monday 9 April 2007

Michael Myers is back - Rob Zombie's Halloween.

I have to say this does look like the type of movie I will have to switch off. I love a good horror, but these days it seems to be less about general suspence and scares, than it is about torture, gore, and exploiting women (was the rape really neccessary in The Hills Have Eyes? I mean butchery is horrible enough, things like rape for shock tactics I find really irresponsible). The trailer does make me nervous...nothing like a masked faceless killer to freak me out.
I guess the kids these days would laugh at the original, but it still creeps me out. I hope it retains the originals slow brewing suspence and doesn't just resort to scantily clad girls running around getting horribly tortured.
Will wait for DVD for this one. Watching a horror film without the distraction of twats talking and laughing in the cinema heightens the atmosphere.

3 comments:

feenixboi said...

I'm a bit tired of this constant barrage of remakes. Especially with classics like this. Is there an example of a movie where it has been done well? Psycho? Texas Chainsaw Massacre? The Haunting? Look there are plenty of tales to make us scared that have yet to be written. Why are we revisiting movies that worked well at a given time. Haloween is a 70s movie flick that works. I doubt this will be good although at least Rob Zombie seems to be sticking to the tried and tested formula.

Anonymous said...

Oh My God ! This is wrong, there are some things that should be left well alone ! I can't beleive they think they can improve on the original, it is a classic that can not be re-invented.

Anonymous said...

I agree but am intrigued. I think the only decent remake of recent years was 'Dawn of the Dead'. The opening 15 minutes was genuinley terrifying and very well shot. The rest have been very dull and disappointing.....will wait and see...