Thursday 19 April 2007

Good Evening? The Evening Trailer commeth

On paper this movie sounds brilliant. The talent involved is worthy of an Oscar talk. Michael Cunningham wrote the novel and helped adapt the screenplay with Susan Minot. So far Cunningham had massive critical acclaim with “The Hours”, but not so much with “A Home at the End of the World”. Perhaps third time will be a massive charm for him, especially with the cast he has gotten together.

Judging by the trailer I am in two minds. It does look a little slushy, but that could just be the music they chose (Dido…really??). What peaked my interest is that Claire Danes and Toni Collette appear to be the leads, while Meryl Streep, Patrick Wilson, Vanessa Redgrave, Hugh Dancy, Glenn Close, Natasha Richardson, Eileen Atkins and Mamie Gummer are all supporting (phew…that is one big cast).

From what I saw I would not be surprised if Toni walks away with this, but then again it could be one of those movies that ends up empty handed come awards time. Too many respected cast members to single one out, so the critics, and guilds may pass.
Also the Director is not really tested aside from beautiful cinematography on films like Sunshine and Malena (Oscar nominated), so it could end up being a big ole mess.
But the cast alone gets my cinema ticket.

Here is the Trailer, judge for yourself.

Who ever visits my blog next will the the 4,000 viewer. Thanks!!

3 comments:

DL said...

No, the trailer itself isn't very well put-together, but I think it suggest a very good movie. Personally, I still think this is going to grab a lot of attention and get a couple major Oscar nominations (esp. for Danes, Collette, and Streep).

Anonymous said...

Agreed the cast does seem to be a big pull to see this movie but I'm not convinced that Cunningham book = great movie.

Anonymous said...

Toni does look to have the most trailer time. I am curious about this, as it could be another Fried Green Tomatoes (love that movie)