Tuesday 17 April 2007

Whoa Nelly!!!

When I have totally faith in a musical artist I will buy their new album without hearing it. Most of the time (with the exception of Madonna) this has been a mistake, and I have learnt my lesson. David Gray, Alanis Morrisette, Macy Gray, Sinead O’Connor, have all taught me that although I love their work, you should always listen to the album before buying. However, only one artist has ever truly disappointed me.
I really liked ‘Whoa, Nelly’ and ‘Folklore’ is one of my all time favourite albums so I was disappointed with the commerciality of ‘Loose’. I understand that after the commercial disappointment of her sophomore effort Nelly Furtado needed to change things up in order to make some money, and that meant going with the flow and hiring Timbaland. Don’t get me wrong, I love Timbaland, and think his work with Missy Elliot is genius, but if any of you have listened to ‘Folklore’ you will understand why ‘Loose’ was such a disappointment to me.

Songs such as ‘Powerless’, the lead off single, critique the entertainment industry in it’s ‘whitening’ of celebrities, I mean look at Beyonce, she is as white as she can be without skin bleaching. Then other singles were completely ignored. The teenage rebellion anthem ‘Explode’, and the heartbreakingly beautiful ‘Try’ were not even blips on radio’s radar. ‘Forca’ was a hit in Portugal and Brazil, but nowhere else, while the albums closing track, the love song to her infant son ‘Childhood Deams’ is probably one of the best songs no one has ever heard.
Lyrically this album takes you to places not often visited by young poplettes, and it is refreshing to see one as young as Nelly is, writing such poignant and insightful lyrics that somehow never feel forced or pretentious like so many other female singer songwriters out there. Musically this album is very brave. She uses every instrument she can get her hands on, from banjo to church organ, and it all flows with such ease that you barely notice how clever the whole package is.

Lets just hope that her new foray into R-n-B/pop is so when she makes another album as rich as ‘Folklore’ it will reach a wider audience. Nelly Furtado has an amazing talent, I trust she will not let it go to waste. I will leave you with what I feel is the best track off ‘Loose’ and the one that captures what she accomplished with ‘Folklore’ which is ‘All Good Things’. Enjoy.

2 comments:

feenixboi said...

surely Forca charted higher than number 40 in the UK? But no? I just remember it playing constantly one summer. Yes she does seem to be lacking something but I did love this song that you posted. Stay true to yer roots Nelly x

Anonymous said...

I concure!! Although in my opinion 'whoah nelly' was an average debut, I absolutely fell in love with 'folklore' (along with you in a shopping centre not too far far away!.... There isn't a shameful weak song on the album although it didn't do particularly well. Loose however is a difficult listen, too many cooks maybe??!! although longer listening does help and all of the singles yet released have been very good...the whole album is all too similar though....and i have seen her live....not the best vocal i have heard let me tell you!