Thursday 26 April 2007

Remakes, remakes everywhere

Ever since the whole “Lord of the Rings” controversy with Peter Jackson, my daily opinion of New Line goes down faster than a cheerleader at a frat party.
With this news, I have to wonder if there are no more original stories out there. Is the world out of fresh ideas?
New Line has signed Queen Latifah to topline a remake of "All of Me," the 1984 comedy that starred Steve Martin and Lily Tomlin. The original "All of Me," directed by Carl Reiner, starred Tomlin as a dying heiress whose soul inhabits the body of a successful attorney, played by Martin. This time Wanda Sykes is in talks to play the Tomlin role. Is it me or are they just remaking old white comedies, and casting black actors, changing the setting, and dialogue a bit and adding some R-n-B and hip hop and calling it a black film? I am sorry, but that is just lazy.
SOME ORIGINALITY PLEASE!!!
Then again it will probably make millions.

Now, don’t get me wrong, as I do love my Latifah, but could her talents not go to better projects? She has some interesting ones coming up. She plays Motormouth Maybelle in ”Hairspray”, is currently working on ”Mad Money” in Louisiana along with Diane Keaton, Ted Danson and Katie Holmes. However I do miss the Latifah who stole my heart in films like “Set it Off” and “Living Out Loud”.
So I pose a question:
What film should be remade and star Queen Latifah?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about a remake of 'Alice Doesn't live here anymore' - Give the Queen a chance to stretch her drama chops again.

feenixboi said...

There are plenty of stories out there to be written it is just Hollywood is too lazy or insecure to venture with these. Go with what is a safe money spinner. The same can be said for the actors who want their fat paycheck. This does nothing for the industry as a whole. But trust me there are loads of stories out there begging to be written. Check this out