Tuesday 1 January 2008

The best of the year (not a movie list)

Well it is that time of year again. As I sit home with the flu (teach me to over work myself over Christmas!!) on New Years eve I am remembering the year that was. What was good, and what was bad. I will list these off in top 10 form, but in no particular order.

The good:

1 The movies were great this year. Or perhaps I have only gone to see movies that were good by making decisions based soely on critical reviews and my own instinct.
The worst film I have seen all year was “La Vie En Rose” and I still came away looking to download a whole pile of Edith Piaf and singing the praises of the lead.
I still have not seen some of the heavy heavy hitters yet, and that can only make this one of the best years in film.

2 Adam Shankman’s wonderful job in “Hairspray”. Say what you will, but the man actually made me excited about the movie musical, and its endless possibilities. “Moulin Rogue” was the pinnacle for me, and since that masterpiece I have slowly given up hope that the musical is back, so thank you Adam for restoring that hope!
Not only was the cast fantastic (even John Travolta warmed to me in the end) but you perfectly captured the giddy musical loving child in me.
Also I have missed big ole dance numbers on the screen. So thank you again.

3 Music charts….if the radio stations were not bribed to play such repetitive shit I would not have gone out searching for something new and exciting and discovered new works by these wonderful artists” Robyn, Siobhan Donaghy, Roisin Murphy, M.I.A. (pictured), Amy Winehouse, Mika, LCD Soundsystem, The Arcade Fire, The Gossip and many more.

4 With so many young actresses and pop stars falling over the edge, it was refreshing to see one of the youngest being able to put her celebrity to better use. Hayden Panettiere risked her life to try to save a family of dolphins being slaughtered by Japanese fishermen.
Not everyone may agree with her actions, but how many of todays tabloid chasing celebs do you see fighting for injustices they believe in? Watch it here….warning disturbing!!

5 Madonna. Celebrating the Goddess in my ‘I LOVE Madonna’ tribute, bought it all back to me. She is AMAZING.

6 Pixar. Not only did they get things SO right with “Ratatouille” (perhaps the best film of the year) but then they go and cause me to shriek with delight and spin around in excitement by releasing the trailer for “Wall-E”. I know you should never judge a movie by its trailer, but I am so going to love this!

7 Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 8 comic. Thank you Joss, for not letting the best TV show die. I have read the first 5 of this series and it stays true to the show while giving you that extra freedom that live action couldn’t allow.
Damn you Sarah Michelle Gellar for walking out!

8 Diablo Cody. I have not seen “Juno”, so I know you will all wonder why I am mentioning this larger than life screen writer?
Well because since there is a massive writers strike, this woman could not have come along at a better time.
With star salaries sky rocketing to undeserved heights, the writers (you know, the people who are responsible for the actual story of the movie, and the dialogue these over-paid under-fed actors are saying) are all but forgotten.
Now we have a celebrity writer in Diablo Cody who is not only getting loads of press for herself, but she is also on the picket lines fighting for pay.
I do not remember a celebrity screenwriter before her, and why not? It is about time the spotlight was shone on these guys…they deserve it.

9 Tom Cruise becomes Box Office poison. YAY!!!!!

10 All you bloggers who I have added to my “Blogs I read and admire” list to the right. You have all humoured me and educated me so much this year. I thank you all!P

No comments: