Tuesday 17 June 2008

Why am I not considering these women?

I was going over my little predictions and was looking fondly at some, when all of a sudden it hit me like a bee sting.

Why am I not predicting any of the women from the upcoming adaptation of the best selling novel "The Secret Life of Bees"?

The film stars an actress sure to be nominated in the future, one Oscar winner, two previous Oscar nominees and multi million dollar Grammy award winning recording artist.
So why is no one predicting anything for these wonderful women?

I have no idea!


Dakota Fanning, Jennifer Husdon, Queen Latifah, Sophie Okonedo, and Alica Keys are helping bring this wonderful novel about the friendship of women to the big screen.

While I do not think Hudson will be nominated again (but who knows) I do think Latifah and Okonedo, who have the books juiciest roles can. Perhaps I should just go ahead and predict them. Latifah is fresh off her SAG and Golden Globe win for "Life Support" and may be ready to give the ole dramatic chop a whirl again. Okodeno has "Skin" coming out this year also so, as long as she gives two strong roles, she is sure to be recognized for one.
As for Keys, who knows at this point if she has the dramatic chops, but her role in the book is not as warm or challenging as the other two sisters, but a great actress can make so much more out of it....can she?
Hudson as the care giver to Fannings character does have some good dramatic moments but is mainly comic relief in the book. Can she prove all her one-hit-wonder detractors wrong?
As for Fanning, it depends how much "Hounddog" (The Dakota Fanning rape movie) hurts or helps her.

I for one will be watching this space very carefully.

3 comments:

RJ said...

Sophie's in this? ooooh. I'm excited now.

Anonymous said...

I'm support that, maybe it's not Oscar material even, but who knows!

Anonymous said...

I want to see this, hell yes, even if it ain't Oscar material, I guess we won't truly know until we see it.