Friday 15 August 2008

Hippo Birdie 2 Ewes!

I still remember being driven to school by my mother and listening to the radio. We used to sing along to Air Supply (no judgement) and Chris de Burgh (judge) at the top of our lungs. One day, and I remember it clearly, the radio gave way to a sound that was like summer time to my ears. It was like frolicking and dancing and just being the happiest you have ever been in your entire life.

Dah da-da Dah Dah, Da Dah Dah, Da Dah……..Oh did I smile, and that song was of course ‘Holiday’ by Madonna. I was 8 at the time

I was in love.

It was as simple as that.

For the next few years my poor family had to deal with the ever changing posters on the wall, the video tape in the machine to tape ANYTHING remotely Madonna related on Entertainment Tonight. They rented me the concerts, and the video collections that I watched ad-nausea.
Even my mother who was partial to Michael Bolton and the like, had to admit that ‘Live to Tell’ was absolutely beautiful (she was slowly being converted to my cult). My cousin Carolyn and best friend Heidi shared my love, just not as fanatically. Cyndi, Tiffany, Debbie, Paula and Martika came and went, but Madonna was always there for me.

When I was 15 my sister bought me tickets to The Blonde Ambition Tour. Hence why no matter what I am forever indebted to her. There was my icon. The size of my pinky finger nail, swearing, dancing gyrating and driving me into a frenzy.

And you know what? I have stayed with her, and loved almost everything she has done (children’s books and ‘Hard Candy’ aside). Even her “English accent” never bothered me.

So today, of all days, I just wanted to take this time and wish a woman who has been as much a part of my life as any celebrity can be.

HAPPY 50th MADONNA!!!!!!!!

Why not revisit my “I LOVE Madonna” celebration on this, most holy day.

No comments: