Monday 1 September 2008

Sweetheart

You know there are those actors you love but still know when they deliver a bad performance.

I feel that way about Brenda Blethyn. She is one of those actresses that can deliver amazing performances ('Secrets and Lies') and then completely irritate the hell out of you like nails down a black board in parrot school ('Pride and Prejudice', 'Little Voice').
But I still love her.

After her small but effective role in 'Atonement' last year I have been thinking about how she needs to have another role that makes us sit up and notice. Then I went to the movie lovers bible (IMDB) and saw she has a film coming out next year called 'London River'.
It is directed by Cannes and Cesar inner and two time Golden Bear nominee Rachid Bouchareb. The film focuses on the 2005 London terrorist attacks and how two strangers meet while searching for their missing children in London.
It is bound to be emotional and compelling, but I am most curious to see how Blethyn handles the character. For an actress who can too easily go into characture, it will be interesting to see if she reigns it in.

1 comment:

Dame James said...

As a huge Brenda Blethyn fan myself, I'm totally excited for this London River movie (which I had never heard of before now). Her performance in Secrets & Lies is seriously one of the best of the 90's and, to me, she was the perfect choice for Maman Bennett in Pride & Prejudice (who else but her could get away with the silliness of that character?) so I have a lot of hope that she'll be just as great in her new film.