Friday 24 October 2008

Anne Hathaway is the new Julia?

This picture certainly makes you think so. I mean my God, they could be sisters! Just look!
Well they could be, and Anne could be the next Julie box office queen, especially if she keeps up with taking roles in romantic comedies and flashing her star wattage smile. Rom Coms are always the fallback genre for actresses to gain popular appeal. It seems the populous en mass likes their leading ladies to be completed by a man.
Anywhooo… The danger with this is it is not a great path for a long term critically acclaimed career. If you do not believe me ask Meg Ryan, Julia Roberts or Sandra Bullock.

Anne has ‘Bride Wars’ coming out with other Rom Com for lifer Kate Hudson, and now she has signed on to star in ‘The Fiance’.
The story is about a woman who postpones her wedding to her seemingly perfect fiancé so she can figure out who she is and what she wants from life. But her parents begin to meddle in her affairs, making it impossible for her to move on.

The film is being directed, however, by Burr Steers, the man behind ‘Igby Goes Down’….PHEW!
I am thinking this will hopefully be a more dramatic affair than I originally thought when I heard of by Etan Cohen’s (Tropic Thunder) involvement as screenwriter. With this, ‘Alice in Wonderland’ and ‘Get Smart 2’ in her line up, I would really like to see some more dramatic work from Hathaway. I have not seen ‘Rachel Getting Married’ but I am sure she is fantastic in the film as every reviewer I trust has said so, and I loved her in ‘Brokeback Mountain’ so I know she has the chops.

Can she be the next Julia Roberts? Or do you think she is going to try and be clever and pick respected film makers to work with and do the occasional Rom Com to pay the bills?

Then again when you look like this we should be thankful you are gracing our screens.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's alright. She will never be Julia Roberts, though. I don't know what you mean by Julia, not having a respectable career. I think she has a very respectable career.She's Julia F'n Roberts.Julia will have a long term career. She hasn't been doing much work lately because of her family.Her choice. She will never have problems getting respectable film work.Anne is just another actress on the list, of the next Julia Roberts, that will never come to fruition.Has she opened a movie on her name alone? Like Julia has countless times.

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

This just made me remember how much I miss Julia.
Is it OK that I dislike her kids a bit for taking her away from me?

P.S: hehehe the verification code for this was "Winger", another actress who should work more!

Michael Parsons said...

With Anne I think it is too early to tell. Get Smart and the Devil Wears Prada had great openings, and sure one had a popular leading man, and the other a popular book, but they were still big. And let's face it, Julia has charisma to spare, but she never really ventures into really deep waters. 'Closer' was the closest she got (am I thought she was good) but she is one of those stars (and she is one of the few remaining Hollywood stars) who really excels in the romantic comedy genre, (or dramedies like in 'Erin Brockovich')

I ain't knocking her at all, and I for one which she did more. I just think Anne could have a more interesting film career if she plays her cards right and pics challenging material (a la Nicole Kidman...just don't pick crap paycheque rom/com's or thrillers like she does)

Jose: I agree. The prospects for 'Fireflies in the Garden' does not look promising does it? Kind of in release limbo. She need another comedy! (I want to forget her performance in 'Charlie Wilson's War' though...comedic for the wrong reasons)