Thursday 23 October 2008

Remaking movies

A family is shipwrecked off an uninhabited isle. A Father and his two eldest sons salvage as much as they can from the wreck including livestock, tools, and even an organ. The three men construct a tree-house home on the island while the youngest boy investigates the wildlife and Mother prays to be rescued. The Two eldest sons discover a young pirate captive on the island. They rush her to the tree-house. Father realizes the pirates will try to reclaim her and decides to make a stand against them.

Or so goes the premise to the movie ‘Swiss Family Robinson’ one of those films I adored as a child. Probably now I would get really pissed off with the overly sexist nature of the story (Mother prays?…PLEASE we all know it would have been the woman buliding the tree house, cooking the food and basically whipping the men into shape) and the fact that the building of the tree house would have not been very environmentally friendly may have upset me (lets face it, it would have been no Lothlorian).

However I would love to see this film remade today, but vastly different.

Due to current technology we would have to go back and set it in the 70’s when there were still undiscovered islands and no GPS to take into consideration otherwise it would be a case of - open credits - “Oh dear we are shipwrecked…let me use my cell phone….here comes the chopper! YAY!!” – end credits.

Instead of just having one family, perhaps have a group of three wealthy families who go on a yachting trip together on one of those giant numbers complete with maids, chefs, captains, deck hands and the such - we need a little class divide to keep things interesting.

An unexpected storm causes the anchor to snap and the boat to drift very far and basically get battered against the reefs of an island. Of course not everyone survives. Families are broken, parents lose children, children lose parents and it is all very tragic.
Yes I would like to see this as a drama and not a family action adventure as both movies and the source material were. These are things that would not work so well these days, and for selfish reasons I need the plausibility....if you are shipwreacked in the storm, people will die, kind of a no-brainer.

I still want to keep the fabulous tree house, but loose the pirates and captive women and geographically implausible animals. I would like the film to be about how a family can be made from the fragments left behind of other families.

All too often we see these shipwreck movies that involve pirates, giant animals, racist depictions of natives or ‘others’ to amp up the story when just surviving the ordeal is drama enough to more than sustain interest.

I am thinking about making this a regular feature, where I take movies to be remade. I think that movies that should be remade are ones that had a good story/idea, but were not successful in their execution. Technically this idea is not a remake, or like a re-visualization of a classic book/movie, but you get the idea.
I already flirted with this idea here, here and sadly very predictably here, but it kind of didn’t take at the time. Do you think I should continue with this, or should I at some point do a remake blog-a-thon?

4 comments:

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Call me irrational, but I for one am completely against any kind of remake, reimagining, revisualization and most other sort of re's.
I feel as if filmmakers choose the easiest path and eventually will altogether lose their ability to create.
I just saw "Made of Honor" a few days ago and the way they shamelessly updated "My Best Friend's Wedding" was just horrific.

Anonymous said...

Swiss Family Robinson was updated- 'Lost in Space'! xx

Michael Parsons said...

Not the same thing Andra....you are really stretching!

Anonymous said...

I'm not stretching... 'Lost in Space' was an updated space age re-telling of the swiss family robinson... look it up!