Friday 10 October 2008

Try ‘em, you might like ‘em

So I have been very very bad when it comes to my movie watching this summer. Sorry, but I have been focusing a lot more on music as it is the soundtrack to my life. Spent most of the summer listening to pre ‘Hard Candy’ Madonna, Macy Gray’s first album and Nelly Furtado’s second. However new music to love has kind of eluded me this summer. Until now!

I was just given Emiliana Torrini’s latest album ‘Me and Armini’. I whole heartedly recommend it to you all (Andra – This one is for you!). True she sounds like Bjork, but they are both Icelandic so the accent is where the similarity ends. She is one of those talents that should really be a lot bigger than they are. I would give a nice long review of the album, but this is something you need to discover for yourself. For me it is like sitting on a beach at dusk, watching the waves turn the sand, and letting your mind wander. Someone did a fantastic album sampler on You Tube, so check it out.



I shouldn’t love The Streets as much as I do. This is simply because I have this shallow little thing about bad teeth. It really skivs me out. But I am able to look past this every time Mike Skinner comes out with a new album. I have already sung my praises over ‘The Escapist’ which so far could actually be my song of the year. Now you must check out his album. The lead single is below and it is called “Everything is Borrowed” (like the album). Buy it!! The album tackles religion, life and death with his trade mark simple poetry. I always find the simplest things so profound.



Andra always comments when I talk about new music turned me onto this little bit of fierceness. VV Brown describes her music as “do wop indie, whilst travelling on a rocket, all the way up into the deepest part of outer space.” And did I add she is just fierce. Santogold, Janae Monroe and VV Brown so refreshing to me, black female artists not getting trapped in the current popular but uninspired R-n-B box. I hope we see a lot more of these ARTISTS, because that is what these woman are, everything about them, music, performance and image is all art. Check out her upcoming single ‘Crying Blood’ and check out her myspace page



Add to that above list there is the enormous talent on Ebony Jones. As NME put it “"EBONY BONES! Writing, producing and standing over her show-tune electro, the anti-diva's potty-mouthed Notting Hill carnivore creations
are a mish-mash of punk and party. Quite simply, her records could cause X-rated strip-show races in a dusty morgue.."
Now that is some big praise indeed. Luckily her music lives up to the praise, just check out her myspace page.
She is also courtesy of Andra who saw her at a Grace Jones concert recently and in a state of shock and awe of not only seeing one of his idols live, to then see a new obsession, he left a very breathless and I swear, tear stained, voice mail message for me.



This is why I love movies and music, they can get this amazing reaction out of me. Please check out these artists and give them a chance. They all deserve to be huge.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey M,
i almost downloaded Emilie's album about 2 weeks ago and canceled it at the last moment. but i'm going to do it now! and yes... i feel like dressing up in yellow and painting glitter on my toes and teeth... finally black musicians with colour, vibe, fire, and unique creativity are being allowed to come to the front of the stage to burn it up! (more men now...Ceelo leads the men out the gate)

Michael Parsons said...

And don't forget Andre 3000.

Boundaries are meant to be crossed. I am just happy there are artists who are brave enough to not let the colour of their skin dictate the category they are allotted into.

Anonymous said...

i would agree with you but i think the line closer to the truth would read 'i'm just happy there are recording labels who are brave enough to not let the colour of an artist skin dictate the category they are allotted into'... all my music loving life i feel i've known people who are darker than blue who have loved and played music that wasn't in the box many would assumed for them... from Nina Simone who bulked at such labels, Jessie Norman, Joan Armtrading, Nicolette, Living Colour, Tracey Chapman, Skin, Prince, TTD, and Grace Jones, tricky, Me'shell, as well as well loved friends and family... it's about time... Yeah!