Thursday 15 January 2009

'Slumdog' fever - (I must be immune)


I do not think I have ever seen anything like this.
It seems that every high end critic knows something I do not about films.
It seems every awards body has seen something I have not.
Perhaps it is time to hang up my coat.

Maybe, just maybe, the awards race really is about the times in which we live, rather than the excellence in film making (I hear many people laughing at my very late realization) .
I mean right now, even though there is a recession, and more people are out of work than ever before, there is a ray of hope in the shape of President Elect - Barack Obama.
This hope has tapped right into the world view of film reviewers, and awards bodies everywhere (well the USA and UK).
Although 'Slumdog Millionaire' is not the best film ever made, nor is it the best film of the year, it most likely is the film that most perfectly captures this new sense of hope after many years of Bush inflicted darkness and war.

Perhaps I should be thankful that a film made up of an Indian cast, set in India is most likely going to sweep the Oscars (a very American (white) centric body of people), even in categories the film really has no place in being.

And I am thankful for that, as minorities have had a hard time breaking into Oscar's little elite club. But I have a reservation because it is at the expense of films that hardly ever get this chance at awards glory. 'The Dark Knight' and 'WALL-E' still could get hurt by this juggernaut. Two genre films that deserve to be in the final five for Best Picture, may end up brushed aside for more 'traditional' films. This is a shame as films should be judged purely on merit and not genre. In the case of 'WALL-E' it still has the animated category, but that is a consolation prize.

Now it seems the 'Slumdog' vice hold on the awards race has reached a pinnacle.

People got upset when Dev Patel got a SAG nomination in supporting actor, many feeling he was either lead or just not that good. Now BAFTA, that sometimes can throw curve balls that can affect the entire race, have not only nominated Dev Patel in lead, but Freida Pinto in supporting (for a role that mainly relies on her beauty) as well. In fact it is almost nominated in every category (so did 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' but that is more default noms and technical brilliance).

However this happens every year. Performances that may not be the best of the year, that get noticed in awards, suddenly get major haters proclaiming them the worst of the year (Check out the recent post by Ryan Adams over at Awards Daily if you don't believe me....poor Dev Freida don't deserve that amount of hate at all).

This all goes to show that this film is a cultural phenomena. People are celebrating how they feel when watching it, more than the merits of the film itself, which is perfectly fine - I have done this many times (hello Moulin Rouge!)
Added to this, the film is technically a foreign indie film for many people, so the feeling of seeing a 'high brow' film adds to the love.

There are two scenarios.
1) The Juggernaut keeps on going and the film wins everything.

2) It eventually hits a wall it cannot pass, and the Academy feel it is rewarded enough and throws some love around.
The Oscar nominations are next week, and for the first time I am feeling a little ill at the thought that things could go horribly wrong.
Perhaps I need to follow the attitude of Sally Hawkins' 'Poppy' from 'Happy-Go-Lucky' and think on the bright side.
But since BAFTA even snubbed her, I think even she may be a bit pissed too so I do not feel so bad.

And as for the 'Feel good film of the decade' quote...it surprises me how short memories are.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every year there is that film that is a front runner that people start to bash. A Beautiful Mind, Chicago, Million Dollar Baby all were front runners and all had people bashing them.

It is our nature. To take down the popular.

Michael Parsons said...

It is, except in situations such as 'No Country for Old Men' and 'Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King' where we just couldn't argue.
Let's face it, if WALL-E were nominated, no one would argue its merits.

Performances are much easier to argue though.

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

I've decided I'll pretend Best Picture and Best Director don't even exist this year and will stick my attention to the acting categories.
I'm crossing my fingers horny AMPAS members won't follow BAFTA in their Pinto love.
I'm also hoping the world will have enough of its Obama party once the guy actually takes over, begins to work and shows he's no Messiah.
Maybe only then will the film world focus on the merits of its craft, not the fuzziness.

Unknown said...

If by default nominations you mean big names, then yes, I agree. I thought Slumdog was good- better than Benjamin Button anyways. It seems that no matter what the reviews say, big movies always take the spotlight undeserving.