Tuesday 19 January 2010

Mini Review - 'The Princess and the Frog'

'The Princess and the Frog'

Not the return to form I was hoping in terms of songs and story. There was something missing from the usual Disney magic I was used to, or perhaps I have just been spoiled by the sheer animated genius of Pixar as well as the wealth of stop-motion pictures that have come out this year.

Many people have complained about the racial stereotyping in this film, and to be honest, I was aware, but not bothered as stereotypes in general do not bother me (we constantly live up to them so why complain - celebrate them).
What did bother me is the sense of déjà-vu I got whilst watching the film. The characters all looked so recycled from old Disney stock, as did some of the sets.

There were strong points in the film.
The shadow hunters were clever and extremely eerie, and the landscape animation was astonishing using clever methods of lighting to make the bayou a thing of frame-able beauty.
Still the end effect was un-effecting. The art was there, but they never spent enough time fine tuning the story to make the viewer really care about the story.

Grade - C+

No comments: