Thursday 21 January 2010

Mini Review - 'Whip It'

The trailer for this did absolutely nothing for me. Sure I thought it looked cute, but I was not in a rush to see it.

Perhaps it was because of these lowered expectations that I found this story of a girl who, suffocated by her mother and the small town in which she lives, joins the girls roller-derby team - so damn delightful.
The film flows wonderfully, but it is the top notch cast that make for this film to be as buoyant as it is. Marcia Gay Harden, Ellen Page, Alia Shawkat, Landon Pigg, Daniel Stern, Jimmy Fallon, Kristen Wiig, Zoe Bell, Eve, Drew Barrymoore, Andrew Wilson and Juliette Lewis all give fully rounded performances and create wonderful and lasting characters with what little, or how much screen time they are given.
This is the sign of a true ensemble. They each compliment each other.
First time director Drew Barrymoore proves her chops with this. Being able to create such chemistry on film is hard to do, but she does it with ease. You can almost imagine how much fun this group of people had on set with this film.
When just jubilation spills over and already entertaining story, well I am truly thankful.

Grade - A-

1 comment:

Information Review said...

I saw this movie at the cinema recently. It's got a great story, amazing directing, and a fantastic cast, I really enjoyed this film