Sunday 27 May 2007

I have the POWER!!!

So it seems that Warner Bros is officially on board for that He-Man movie. If this seems like a bad idea then ask why producer Joel Silver and Warner are teaming with Mattel for a live-action adaptation of the 1980s action figure (thank Madonna not the cartoon series). Justin Marks (who is unproven) has been tapped to script the movie, which will be called Masters of the Universe.

Now I played and collected these action figures as a child, but even at the tender age of 10 I knew the cartoons were awful. He-Man as a toy was campy enough without the formulaic plots of the cartoon. If Silver can bring out his producing best from ” The Matrix” (first one), ” Kiss Kiss Bang Bang”, ” Veronica Mars”, ” V for Vendetta” (yes I liked it!) and ” Xanadu” (heeeeeeeee) then perhaps this will not be as dire as it sounds here.

The deal, which still requires Mattel's approval of a formal outline, would make this the second He-Man movie, following the 1987 mega meal flop starring Dolph Lundgren (my word, I knew I was gay when I saw him!) as the title character. Mattel has been wary of doing another movie, having already passed on an attempt by Fox 2000 with director John Woo.

According to Variety ”The Warner/Silver movie would reimagine the franchise as a classic good vs. evil battle, using the kind of visual effects used in 300. “

This may actually work, if they also aim it for adults again. The problem with children’s films is that they are far too childish these days. Films like ” Spirited Away”, ” The Incredibles”, and by first looks the upcoming ”Transformers”will appeal to adults, but appeal to kids because they will think they are seeing something adult and exciting. I know I sound like a broken record with this, but the studios seem to forget that the people who played with the toys in the 80's are now all thirty-somethings and do not want to sit through the live action version on the TV cartoon.
The story is about a great warrior, touted as the last hope of Eternia, which is being destroyed by technology and the evil Skeletor, He-Man's nemesis. Rumors are rampant over the web about the casting, but no one has been cast. Kate Moss is in talks for the role of Skeletor, but the studios fear she may be too thin to pass it off (boom boom). My first question and concern is who will play Orko?

Anyway, enough of all this and more of Dolph. I do like my Scandinavian men hence why I picked out the BF eight years ago in the International Scandinavian Boyfriend Fair.
I was worried that Dolph may not have aged well, but I was wrong...rugged and yummy with a spoon.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He was and is a right dishy piece of crumpet.
Oh such memories!