Friday 19 October 2007

"The Jury" and the bully

Hunk of burning love Marc Forster (pictured) is to assume directing duties on “The Jury”, a remake of a 2002 British TV mini-series about the trial of a Sikh student charged with killing a classmate who tormented him.

The film will explore the lives of those deciding the fate of the defendent, as well as the defendent himself.

The original series was written by Peter Morgan, but Forster's version will be written by Beau Willimon (why mess with a good thing one may ask…the answer is…dunno)

As a bullied kid, I always love these types of stories. I rooted for “Carrie” to burn them all and I will route for this kid. Bully is one of the rights of passage for some kids, but there are times when it just takes a nasty and ugly turn.

His upcoming film “The Kite Runner” centers around an act of extreme bullying and how it tears the lives apart of two best friends. I am currently reading the book, and if it is only half as wrenching as it is in the book, Forster has succeeded.

While these films should be commended, things will never change.

I still remember being tormented by school bullies after the death of my sister. “Your sister kicked the bucket, why didn’t you follow” was the school-yard chant (aren’t kid just lov-er-ly), and how I wish I had telekinesis back then. What a whirl wind of horror that would have caused. Limbs would have been ripped off, humiliation and torture would have followed, then heartache (am I wrong for getting a little giddy with excitement at the thought? Perhaps I should hone this in to a screenplay..and pronto!).

It is funny when you are older and you think back on your school days. My partner was not a victim of bullying and that was never more apparent when we watched “Dogville” during the last ten minutes my reaction was to applaud Grace and her act of vengeance, as he looked horrified (that movie cannot be talked about…we argued for days!)

We will see how this film turns out, all I know now is I have to add “The Jury” to my LoveFilm list. Will this list ever end?

1 comment:

feenixboi said...

oh don't get me started on Dogville.....