Sunday 9 November 2008

It’s beginning to look a lot like a Green Christmas.

In keeping with sundays being about things that matter to me personally ("Like movies and music isn't??! - I hear you asking) I will talk about something that brings some people joy, and others sleepless nightmare filled nights - Christmas Shopping.
Every year I go out and spend a fortune of gifts for loved ones. And for what? They end up gathering dust most of the time. Still not sure that my brother-in-law has finished any of the Star wars lego I got him. At least I know my sister uses her baking stuff all the time, and my dad uses his new kettle every morning.

This year I am determined to get gifts that really matter. I mean in the big scheme of things what do any of us really need of a material nature?

Sure there is loads of things I want in my life, I even have various wish lists to prove that, however this year it is becoming apparent that my group of friends really do not need anything. As my good friend Anne-Marie said “If I want something, I buy it myself”. Too true.

This year I am giving charity gifts and gifts that in some way make a difference. If Uncle Chester does not like his adopted whale, I am sure the people at WWF appreciate it…so at least someone does.

Here are some great places you can get some really amazing Christmas gifts this year.

Check them out and make a difference:

For some great eco gadgets, energy saving toys and ecological house hold supplies check out It Must Be Green.

On a similar note, but with a lot more in their catalog is one of my favourite shops online. Check out Natural Collection.

Oxfam needs no introduction.

There is also everything you could possibly need at the Ethical Superstore.

If you are in the US check out the Green Earth Market

Project Concern allows you to give the gifts of health, hope and nutrition to those less fortunate.

A really cool site, with some lovely gorgeous things is This Fair Earth. Seriously y'all the goods they sell are stunning and ethical.

You all know how much I love LUSH. They use natural ingredients but more importantly all of their ingredients are ethically sourced. Plus they do not use a lot of packaging and offer freebies if you return the black pots some of the moisturizers and face masks come in. Also it just so happens the products they sell are amazing. Honestly my skin has not looked better, and I drink A LOT! Check out LUSH USA and LUSH UK.

Get a child a great gift that is stimulating and educational. A subscription to Kids National Geographic.

WWF memberships are wonderful presents, and the also have a great store.

Also you can donate to Sea Shepherds and Green Peace who are doing amazing work across the world, but can only survive with your donations.

And for those of you who just demand a new wardrobe for the new year, please check out Fair Indigo and Sandbag


Go on, make a difference this Christmas. Let 2009 be a better year for the earth as well as us.

4 comments:

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

I've always wanted a baby penguin.
Hint hint.

Michael Parsons said...

As long as you aren't expecting it to dance

Michael Parsons said...

As long as you aren't expecting it to dance

Anonymous said...

Great selection of shops.A lot of these shop scan be found at http://www.moreeco.com, where you can buy these products and earn moreeco points and freed carbon offsets. Try being even more green this Christmas.