Thursday 20 August 2009

Mini Review “Moon”

First, let me get this off my chest. I am not a sci-fi fan.
I did like “Star Trek” a lot, but not love. When it comes to sci-fi I need a little grounding in reality (“Alien”, “Firefly”, “Battlestar Galactica” and the such) in order to suspend my belief. I like my vessels of space travel to be clunky and dirty and old.
I also was not a big fan or “2001: A Space Odyssey” . In fact I would live a very long and happy life if I were to never see that film again.

However, I very much liked “Moon”. Although it bears some very obvious similarities to Stanley Kubricks space opera (the set, Gertie being a gender confused version of HAL) as well as Andrei Tarkovsky’s “Solaris”, the film can stand alone as a unique and very captivating study on what it is to be human, what it means to be unique and how you should never deprive anyone of hope, for it may be all they have.

Sam Rockwell give a very compelling and awards worthy performance as a lone astronaut out on a three year mission collecting helium 3 (a new energy source) from the moons surface. He has two weeks before he is due to return to earth, and strange things start happening.

To go any further would be to give too much away but on a side note, I never noticed just how much Kevin Spacey’s performance in “Se7en” has disturbed me. I cannot hear his voice without feeling immediate anxiety.

Grade - B

No comments: