Tuesday 5 June 2007

Should I see 'Knocked Up'?

So ‘Knocked Up’ is going to be one of the big comedy success’s of the summer. I hear that it is getting rave reviews, but won’t be out in the UK for a few months so I will reserve judgment.

I will say that I was not a big fan of ‘The 40 Year Old Virgin’, other than Steve Carell’s peformance. I am actually not much of a fan of Judd Apatow’s work. Then again I am not the target audience.

Straight men are the target, and most of the straight men I have spoken to love these movies.
They are bloke films.
I sometimes listen to a group of guys sitting around talking about sports, women, sex and beer, and laughing and shouting at passers by and doing stupid dares and I just do not get it. HoweverI have never found much humor in that moronic male bonding scenario. I find it kind of sexist and homophobic at times.

I had two sisters and hardly any male friends growing up (where I am from they don’t like gays much). Perhaps if I did I would find peeing in a water gun and shooting people funny, however I didn’t and I just think it is rude.

However I think I may go and see ‘Knocked Up’. The plot is about Slobby Ben (Seth Rogen) and up and coming career girl Alison (Katherine Heigl) who meet at a bar, and end up having a one night stand. Eight weeks later, Ben is shocked when Alison meets him and reveals that she is pregnant. Despite having little in common, the two decide that they have to at least try to make some kind of relationship work for the baby's sake.
This, to me, sends out a huge message to people about safer sex/parental responsibility and I hope it pulls it off with sensitivity. The reviews I have read have stated it does this very well, but I would like to hear from people who have seen it, so please leave a comment and let me know if I should spend my moola!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't bother. Never been a fan of moronic behaviour, and found the film slightly homophobic..................then it was made in my lovely country