Sunday 3 June 2007

box - Love my box

Thinking about ‘Hairspray’ got me thinking about musicals and how most of them are throw backs to an era long gone. Set in times that have passed by (the majority of them) so we can feel the kitsch and campness, but also perhaps become familiar with musical styles we were not familiar with. I also love it when music artists experiment with genre and styles to bring back music from yester year and make it popular again. And this is the subject of my lovely box.

The Puppini Sisters – Wuthering Heights
The Puppini Sisters are a musical trio specializing in 1940's style vocal close harmony music. Members consist of Italian Marcella Puppini and English Stephanie O'Brien and Kate Mullins. One of the more unusual songs in their repertoire is Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights", sung in the style of the Andrews Sisters. For some reason this should not work at all, but it really does. Check out their album as they also cover Blondie and many others, all in ’ The Andrew Sisters’ style.

Queen Latifah – Lush Life
I love the movie ‘Living Out Loud ’ and thought the cast (especially Holly Hunter) was superb. One thing that always got me was the opening credits with the Queen, in her jazz club stylings, crooning out this sultry ballad of heart break. Those who say she is not a great singer are mad I tell you. Her delivery of this song is perfect, and I cannot wait to see what she does in ‘Hairspray’. I am sure she will be fabulous as always.

Madonna – Back in Business Taken from the “I’m Breathless” album which was inspired by the 1930’s film ‘Dick Tracy’. Madonna starred in this movie playing the singer in the club, and she was effective in the role with her blonde baby doll hair, and seductress clothing. It was the album that truly captivated me, and this stand out track, all breathless and sexy. She plays a femme fatal purring into the microphone, and it even turned me on.

No comments: