Monday 2 July 2007

Blog abuse.

So, I have totally been getting abuse from this scary woman called Hannah Greene about a certain blog post I did about Angelina Jolie (well more about the casting process in Hollywood), which you can read here.

The comment of the post went:

I can't fathom why it would be offensive that Angelina Jolie (whose complexion mirrors the real life complexion of Mariane Pearl) would play this role.
Halle Berry is was given the role of Tierney Cahill (a white woman - not a bi-racial woman) and there's no uproar on that. Or is there? Are you equally offended?

So you insist that a woman such as Pearl (who has some African blood in her, no matter how slight) must be played by a black woman although her heritage is as much Chinese and Dutch. But when a white woman is played by a half black woman (Tierney/Berry), you're A-Okay on that front.
Now who is the racist?! You're a pathetic hypocrite!


Lovely eh? I removed her email, but it is cleary in the comment so....do what you will. I guess when you have opinions on things that you post on your blog, you leave yourself open to criticism, but not really abuse like this (and it gets worse).
The reason I picked Rosario Dawson is because her heritage is of Puerto Rican, Cuban, African American, Irish and Native American descent and not one ethnicity. Guess Ms. Greene totally missed that point. (I picked Joy Bryant because she has talent and I want her to get a juicy role). Fun thing is, Hanna Greene knows nothing of my ethnic back ground, or where I was bought up, so I told her so that should could have an understanding of where I was coming from.....fell on deaf ears.

No matter how I tried to argue with this women, even pointing out that I did comment on the Halle Barry casting . She would have none of it.

"I find it both troubling and....well...telling that you seem incapable of following my very clear message - that which is your flagrant hypocrisy.

You see no conflict with Halle Berry (a half black/white woman) playing a white woman but you have much conflict with Angelina Jolie (a white woman) playing the part of a multi-racial woman. I mean, it's the exact opposite scenario, just one you don't like. And that is what exposes your hypocrisy. As long as the bias is in favor of the black part of the individual, all is well with the world.

Furthermore - and you clearly stay away from this - Mariane Pearl is NOT a black woman and her complexion is EXACTLY that of Jolie's. She is, at most, 1/4 African. Otherwise, she is Chinese, Dutch and Jewish. I haven't read an illogical rant from the minister of China denouncing A Mighty Heart project over Jolie not being a Chinese actress so maybe they're not as offended as you clearly are over her 25% black not being represented.

In the future, you might want to consider opinions with...umm....integrity? If you also denounced the Berry project, then you'd make some headway here. But you can't understand that, can you?
"

WHOA!!! Easy girl!!! So anywhoo, I replied, even linking to the post where I commentated on Halle, but nothing got through. It was like trying to have a discussion with a child who was in the middle of a violent hissy fit. The mind was made up, and no amount of proof was going to get though.
The whole argument on complexion is also insane. Should Nicole Kidman have been cast in "Memoirs of a Geisha" because she is of similar complexion to Japanese women? My email hater seems to think so. Send Cate Blanchett to Hawaii for a month to get a nice tan before she takes the lead in the big screen version of "Caroline, or Change", cause it is not about race, but about complexion. HA!!! Mac would make a killing.
I was hoping that I would get a break through like with the racist, prejudice juror in "Twelve Angry Men" who would not budge, but at the end saw the light and realized they may have been wrong. But no...Hanna Greene was not going to budge.

I started to get snarky and said she should write for Fox news (she was at this point sounding very very pro white) and mentioned that Angelina did have make-up applied to portray Pearl, which is a way is 'Black Face'. BIG Mistake. Hanna Greene was crazy mad.

"Seems pretty clear you're just going to deflect, deflect, deflect.
#1 - Jolie was not "donning a black face" as Mariane Pearl is NOT black. What part of that is difficult for you to understand. Mariane Pearl is less than 25% black. She's also Chinese, Dutch, French, Cuban. Why do you focus on the slice that's black and insist that the actress that plays her be black but not any other of her races? (and you don't think that demonstrates patent bias and hypocrisy?!)

#2 - Your post NEVER spoke against Berry (a bi-racial woman) playing a white woman. Why say you did?

I have never commented on the other "issues" in your post - only the race issue you raised and how it was clearly biased towards the black race.

But I don't expect you to understand any of that, much less accept it. I'm sure my views are far too left for Fox News though I think you'd be right at home in the Sharpton camp - the man who passionately speaks out against discrimination when it's aimed at a black person. When discrimination is aimed at a white person, it's called Affirmative Action.

Gotta love it!"


Oh dear. Hanna Greene is very upset with me. She is now abusing me in odd and incoherent ways.
If any of you have read my blog, you know I am gay so being told I would be at home in the Sharpton camp (a man who even though is a Baptist minister, supports gay rights) is a HUGE compliment to me. THANK YOU HANNA GREENE!
Perhaps I should have been more specific. 'Black face' is a common term. When white people played black characters many moons ago, it was called black face. Even now when an actor darkens their skin to play the role of a different ethnicity, it is commonly called black face. Ms. Greene did not get it. My bad. I should have said "Chinese, Dutch, French, Cuban face". Me still thinks it would have done no good.

I have decided to block all emails as getting hate mail is never fun, and neither is trying to have a civilized argument with a person who does not take the time to see anothers point of view.
Ok, so I have made fun of Ms. Greene enough. I guess the point I am wanting to make is this. There are so many of us with blogs out there, where we express our views, and it is a wonderful thing. It is getting a dialogue started. But please, when posting comments where you disagree with an author, please show respect. There is enough hate in the world already without the Hanna Greene's having to place attacks behind the safetly of email.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was funny. It is sad that there are so many people who are willing to attack people they are uninformed about.

Been reading your blog for a while and have always found you to be very racially aware...yes even to caucasian's.

Never mind, and keep up the great read!

Anonymous said...

It is sad that people seem hell bent on just being mean. I guess you should prepare for it when you put yourself out there though....but it doesn't make it right.

Michael Parsons said...

Thanks for the kind words. I realise I am being equally as childish doing this post, but people like this really do get my goat, especially when they know NOTHING about me.

Keep reading though, I appreciate all the comments.

StinkyLulu said...

Good for you, MP. The false equivalencies of her reasoning are impossible to reason with.

Anonymous said...

I love it when crazy people get shown up.
I wish there was a way to do this with my neighbour!

feenixboi said...

Well your blog is reaching out to quite a few people now and you are bound to reach people with different views to yours. It takes all sorts to make a world and as long as we respect each other's opinion all is good. But she obviously doesn't. Good job on being restrained....

Anonymous said...

I think she sounds very intelligent, well informed and a warm, genuine person. But I do tend to eat plastic and argue with my underwear....Go Hannah, Go Hannah ...please go!!!