Tuesday 6 November 2007

Mini Review - Once

Well it was finally released over here, and I finally saw it. I remember back in April pointing out Thank you this little trailer that kind of captured my heart a little, and hoped the film would go onto bigger things.

It did.

“Once” is that rare film, one that completely moves you in unexpected ways. I will not go into the story as every review under the sun has covered it. What I will say is that story and music have not come together so fluidly in movie musicals for such a long time for me. Given that the performances were recorded live, no lip-synching here, enhance the raw emotion of the story of falling in and out of love, of hearts breaking and of them mending again.
The performances are all wonderful and most importantly, they are real. There is no big emotional ‘scene’, just real people reacting to real situations.

In a just world this film would find it’s place in the year end awards (it actually could) but I am just thankful it was made, and the soundtrack is available.
Just beautiful. A-

No comments: