Saturday 15 March 2008

Madonna - 'Hard Candy'

Ok.

So I have listened to a few tracks off of Madonna's 'Hard Candy' album.

I am at a cross roads.

I feel as though my mother (rest her soul) has just come back to me as a born again, bible thumping Bush voter.
ie: I am really disappointed.

I know she is trying to get played on U.S. radio again, but for me it is the musical equivalent of middle aged man buying a race car to impress a 18 year old girl.

I am also aware of my see-sawing on my opinion of her at this point in her career. I loves me my Madge, but I have never really been let down by her music (not since 'Ray of Light' anyway)

Go back to experimenting honey, and quick. As your departing album with Warner music I would hope you would go out with a bang...then again it could be one of the best selling albums of your career...who knows. Financial bang over artistic this time.

However there is that part of be saying I should hold out hope.

'Bedtime Stories' is my least favourite album of hers but there are tracks on there I adore. Anyone who knows that album was blown away by the genius of "Bedtime Stories" the track.
This is when she worked with popular, but still on the edge people. Bjork and Nellie Hooper helped her craft a sensual and electric track that gave us all a preview of things to come (hello 'Ray of Light').

So I will probably buy the new album (of course I will) and listen to it 20 times, before putting it away and getting out 'Music' and share in the joy of an artist having a blast experimenting with sounds. Or perhaps I will get out 'American Life' and remembering when she seemed to not care about airplay and made music for her.

No comments: