Tuesday 13 May 2008

"City of Ember" poster

I have been looking forward to this film ever since I found out Saoirse Ronan was cast. Then I read the book and thought it to be a wonderful intelligent adventure story, that played very well to my 30+ ideals, even though it is aimed at young adults.

The book (cover pictured) is about a city that has no natural light. All light comes from street lamps that flood the town in a yellow glow. Things begin to look bad when short blackouts start. No one can leave the city because all ideas of movable light and fire have been forgotten. When the food stores begin to empty two teenagers begin to worry and start thinking about a way out.

If you haven't read it, do so. It is a wonderful book, and the movie looks to be in safe hands, although the casting of Bill Murray as the sinister mayor puts me off. Firstly he is hardly a lead, and secondly I fear he will do his manic crazed performance style of earlier years.

Now that the poster has been unveiled I am even more worried.
It looks like it is trying to be a super hero movie with its modified internet explorer logo by was of the energizer bunny. It feels me with an uneasiness. I thought the book design was wonderful and perfectly captured the tone.

This looks...well...branded.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The trailer looks really good. I’m excited to see what the rest of the movie will have in store. I really excited to see how Gil Kenan’s first live action film will turn out, I have complete faith that it will be nothing less than amazing. Plus I think the cast will be good. I think Bill Murray will make a outstanding villain playing Mayor Cole.

My name is Blair and I am an official ambassador for City of Ember and I have access to first-look pics of the movie not seen in the trailer, which I would be more than happy to share with you. I would love to have your help spreading the word about City of Ember and get the buzz going!

I hope I’m not over stepping any bounds by posting on your blog.
Hope to speak with you soon.

Best,
Blair Landon
Official Ambassador

Michael Parsons said...

Not at all. Happy that you have, I am so excited about the movie as I LOVED the book. Share away!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Michael,
Thanks for getting back to me! I would to share the City Of Ember first-looks with you! Do you have an e-mail address where i can send them? So that you can post and share with your readers. That would be great!

Best,
Blair Landon
Official Ambassador
blair.ambassador@gmail.com

Michael Parsons said...

mookiepars2@mac.com