Monday 27 October 2008

7 Things Me Me

Dame James Henry has tagged me into doing a meme of sorts. It was supposed to be about 7 things that people in my blog universe do not know about me.

Here are the rules: Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog - some random, some weird. Tag 7 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blog.

Well considering none of my readers actually know me that well, and the more interesting stuff is a little too personal and deep for this blog, I will keep these 7 in the vein of my blog.

So here are 7 things you don’t know about me in relation to movies.

1) I detested ‘A Beautiful Mind’. I thought it was pretentious, the acting was average to say the best, and it really pissed me off with it’s omission of most of the facts that actually made John Nash interesting in the first place. I was so bored and fed up with ‘A Beautiful Mind’ when I saw it in the cinema that I walked out. This is the first and only film I have ever walked out of.

2) I was an ageist little child. I was so in love with Hayley Mills when I was little. Me and my best friend Heidi watched all her films. “The Trouble with Angels”, “That Darn Cat”, “In Search of the Castaways” and “Summer Magic”. But my favourite had to be “The Parent Trap”.
Heidi and I would play “The Parent Trap” all the time. I had blonde hair, and Heidi was a brunette, but we raided my mums wigs and she had a short blond one so we could be twins. I was always Sharon, the proper one (of course) and Heidi was Susan the tom boy (in retrospect that was a very telling time for my budding sexuality. I would rather be the twin who grew up in a city with access to lots of fashion than the one who grew up in California with horse riding and camping). We would also use countless balls of string setting up cob-web traps (without the buckets of glue though) much to my mothers horror.
Anywho…back to the ageist thing. When my mother told me after many years that Hayley Mills was not in fact a little older than me, but was in fact well into her 40’s, well I locked myself in my room and cried. I hadn’t yet developed my eye for dating films.

3) Up until the age of 18 I couldn’t watch ‘Aliens’. I would get up to the point where she has the dream and the alien starts coming out of her chest and run away.

4) For reasons I still do not fully understand, I bawled my eyes out over the final ever episode of ‘Roseanne’.

5) I have watched loads of cartoons on TV throughout my life. Out of all of them (not including cinematic or DVD/Video releases) there have only been three that have ever made me cry (including my child years).
The first two were both viewed as an adult and they were both from ‘Futurama’. Of course everyone will know the episode about his dog called ‘Jurassic Bark’ which had the saddest and most heartbreaking ending I have ever seen. I am trembling thinking about it.
The other episode is ‘The Luck of the Fryrish’ in which Fry earns some valuable lessons about family (this one is not making me tremble, but still…sniff sniff)
Finally there is the ‘Diana’s Piano’ segment from ‘Garfields 9 Lives’. DON’T YOU DARE JUDGE ME!!
I re-watched this last year and just sobbed. I actually cannot bring myself to watch it again now. I know what will happen.



6) I LOVE ‘ANNIE’!
Me and Heidi used to purposely mess up my room and put this tune on just to clean it to!!! Then she would hang from the railing in my closet and scream “PUNJAB SAVE ME” at the top of her lungs until my father told us we couldn’t anymore because we were bending it. And yes….I played Punjab, complete with turban. Funnily enough, aside from that one scene, neither of us really wanted to play Annie. I was always Pepper (she was butch and mean and I got to say "Blow it at your old wa zoo!" and stand on Heidi's head) and Heidi was always Molly or Duffy (she liked to say the “Oh my goodness, oh my goodness” line).



7) I am a hypocrite. I write a blog based on movies and have never seen any of the following classic movies:

‘Singin' in the Rain’, ‘Gone With the Wind’, ‘Lawrence of Arabia’, ‘Vertigo’, ‘On the Waterfront’, ‘Some Like It Hot’, ‘The Grapes of Wrath’, ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’, ‘Mr. Smith Goes to Washington’, ‘High Noon’, ‘Apocalypse Now’, ‘The Godfather Part II’, ‘The Bridge on the River Kwai’, ‘The Best Years of Our Lives’, ‘The Treasure of the Sierra Madre’, ‘Dr. Strangelove’,. ‘Bonnie and Clyde’, ‘The Philadelphia Story’, ‘It Happened One Night’, ‘Rear Window’, ‘Citizen Kane’, ‘The Godfather’, ‘Casablanca’, ‘Raging Bull’.

The worst part of that is, I feel no shame….I have time to catch up.

Glad that is over....so didn't get into me and my cousin role playing 'The Young and the Restless' or my 10 year old happy dance when my mum rented me the 'My Little Pony' movie.

I am supposed to link to other people now, so here are the ones I am going to annoy, but also the most interested in seeing what they say:

The Rural Juror
A Blog Next Door
Strange Culture
Pop Colony
Mainly Movies
Movies Kick Ass Blog
The Angry Gay Part Deux

3 comments:

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

OK number 7 almost gave me a heart attack, ok no not really hehehe, but you know how you take for granted that every cinephile has some sort of requisite list which they have to have seen and what not.
But yes, not only have you got time to catch up, and have filmgasms in some cases, but you're a perfect victim to participate in a community activity I've planned for next year.
I'll have my post ready in a while (slow day at the office).

Michael Parsons said...

I know....shocking isn't it. I will lose viewers after that

mB said...

Thanks for the Tag:
http://ablognextdoor.blogspot.com/2008/10/tag-im-it-or-how-its-new-meme.html