Monday 27 October 2008

'Sharkwater'


Yes, it was only yesterday that I got all preachy about shark finning, and judging by the amount of comments I can see that no one really cares all that much. Well I have just finished watching the Documentary 'Sharkwater' and I can tell you simply that it is amazing.

I couldn't watch a lot of it, and what I could upset me to no end. My partner burst into tears at one point (trust me...not one to cry over nature documentaries is my dearest) and I fought them back.
Director Rob Stewart (pictured) has made a documentary that comes from the heart. It is not just about sharks though, it is about mankind, and our blinding greed. There are few films that can completely change your view on something. This would count among them. It highlights sharks in a completely different light and has given me a new appreciation and admiration for them. They have survived longer than any other large creature on the planet, surviving many mass extinctions.
If you are worried it is all about big fish, let me tell you it involves so much more. You have pirate boat rammings, gunboat chases, mafia espionage, corrupt court systems and attempted murder charges. That is more than enough for even James Bonds biggest adventure (If only Bond would set his sights on something as globally important as conservation)

I am not going to beat this one over the head and become the blog about 'Sharkwater' but if something is important enough you want to get word out.
I know it may not seem as exciting as who whether or not Clint Eastwood will win a Best Actor nomination but it is a million time more important, and trust me, it is bloody exciting. Please I urge you. Rent or buy it. This is without a doubt one of the best documentaries I have seen in a long time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have seen this, and it should be required viewing for every school. Harsh stuff. People are dismiss it as another eco documentary are idiots.

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

This was a very good documentary indeed, but as many things it went by mostly undetected by mainstream audiences (which is why I was shocked when the BFCA nominated it for Best Documentary).
It's most definitely a work of love from the director. I remember the marketing angle they worked with here was the fact that a big part of the last half was filmed here. I don't think people were satisfied with the reason.

Michael Parsons said...

I have to say the Costa Rica part shocked me so much. Do you know what, if anything has been done?