Wednesday 29 October 2008

Movie News – The compliment sandwich.

Bad news bookended by good news.

Oh Mary Louise Parker, how I love thee. News just in that she has joined the cast of the Michael Douglas black comedy called ‘Solitary’. In this she plays a high powered society girlfriend (heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!) of Douglas’s shady ex-car dealer who is married to Susan Sarandon.

In the film his life takes a turn for the worse due to all his romantic and business indiscretions.

This film has been knocking around for a while, and in all honesty the thought of Douglas having romantic indiscretions makes me feel just a little queasy. However the chance of seeing Parker strut her sexy self about as a society girlfriend just makes me drool with excitement. You know she could be brilliant in this!



When Clairee Belcher uttered the line “they all look like they’ve been carved out of cream cheese” in ‘Steel Magnolias’ she must have had Zac Efron in mind.
The tween star has been in talks to star in a remake of one of the 80’s most beloved teen films for over a year now. Since the opening of ‘High School Musical 3’ was so big, Paramount have fast tracked the production of the ‘Footloose’ remake – this time as a musical.

I will not go into this more than I need to, but it is happening.
I am heart broken. I am now so old that movies I actually remember seeing in the cinema the first time around are being remade.

If there nothing sacred? Do I have to look forward to a future where everything is starring Zac Efron or Hannah Montanna? Are they the future of entertainment? Is it wrong that this picture of him give me dirty thoughts?



Look at me. Just when I was getting worried that Amy Adams may end up doing the Rom Com thing, she signs on to an indie drama.

‘Daughter of The Queen of Sheba’ is the independent drama based on the biography of National Public Radio correspondent Jacki Lyden.

For those who do not know, Lyden was the first NPR female correspondent to go on-air following the 9/11 attacks. Soon after she headed over to Afghanistan where she has done some definite bio-pic things. She had to report on the killing of her translator by an American soldier. She returned to Afghanistan in 2004 to teach radio documentaries: "My Life is Afghanistan," for Internews.

The title of the film comes from the book Lyden wrote in which she describes her early life as the daughter of a mother suffering from manic depression. In her manic states, her mother had delusions of power and acted on them. She was the Queen of Sheba, a hostess of bizarre dinner parties and a promoter of outrageous business ventures. Dolores's imaginative escapades inspired Lyden in her career as a journalist covering the Persian Gulf War, taking risks, rising to challenges, and facing unforeseen danger.

Sounds like it could be Oscarish material for Adams, especially since she is so good at playing characters you want to root for.

4 comments:

Peter Chan said...

love me some mary louise parker and amy adams...

speaking of amy, have you seen the trailer for 'sunshine cleaning' yet? looks like another lovable performance from miss junebug.

Michael Parsons said...

I have seen the 'Sunshine Cleaning' trailer. The reviews coming out of Sundance were ok, but they all singled out Adams as being fantastic.

Dame James said...

This isn't so much a complement sandwich for me as much as it is all-around great news. I haven't seen the original Footloose (I know, bad me!) so I don't have the bitter feelings toward the Efron remake. I think he's becoming a better performer with each passing movie and this should be another fun film from him.

Michael Parsons said...

It is worth seeing alone for a young SJP!