Wednesday 4 March 2009

Goodbye 'Sabe'

Keira Knightley is one of those stars that seems to attract more criticism than deserved.

Regardless of how talented the critics think she is it is her film roles that attract the most negative writings. People say she can only do period (um hello....Kate Winslet has not done a hell of a lot of current day films either).
Not really true. Sure there is a lot of period in her past (I know, I know...bad use of words) but she does branch out from time to time.

Now she is going all science fiction on our collective arses.

'Never Let Me Go' is a critically acclaimed and Booker prize nominated novel by Kazuo Ishiguro about three friends (rising star Carey Mulligan is playing another) who grow up together in a elite boarding school. They are so special that visitors do not see them, and only by rumor and the occasional fleeting remark by a teacher do they discover their unconventional origins and strange destiny.

The film is being directed my Mark Romanek, in his first project since 2002's 'One Hour Photo'. That was a strong film with a distinct visual style so with his, the source material and the cast, this looks to be a film you can eagerly anticipate.

2 comments:

feenixboi said...

Am excited about this. Someone at work was talking really passionately about this book. In fact your blog post has prompted me to buy it on amazon. You can read it after me if you like...

Anonymous said...

I'm not a fan of Keira, even I think she's overrated in a confortable zone with many period pieces films (I prefer her pre-Pride & Prejudice's filmography). For me, she was the WORST part for "Atonement" and she's over-the-top and almost pathetic in "the Duchess".

For the other hand, I think this project, in the right hands, will ROCKS!. If Keira gives a real talent and work, she could surprise us, and I hope she quit her mannerisms and classic faces after her Elizabeth Bennett.

About the relation between her and Kate Winslet, I think is too short and simple.

Many people forget that Kate Winslet made between and after Titanic: Jude, Hideous Kinky, Holy Smoke! and Enigma. And then she made her PERFECT Clementine in ESOTSM. I still think Winslet's career is very diverse and fantastic...