Friday 17 October 2008

Accents and advertising

You know there are good posters for a movie, and bad ones. Sometimes, especially with the bad ones, you can make your decision about if you want to see the film or not, based solely on the poster.

I was always skeptical about 'Valkyrie' from the get go, it just sounded like it was trying to hard. The Holocaust was a horrendous time in history and I am sorry, but big stars kind of take the impact away a little (I would go on and on about all the other Holocausts that have gone on that do not get nearly enough screen adaptions, but that is a different post). Can the biggest star in the world (or used to be) save the world from Hitler? Of course he can, he has survived so much worse on film.
Anyway I digress. Then I saw the trailer and almost did a mini vom in my mouth. American accents, English accents? Aren't these men...you know....Germans? Well I guess America did win the war and the Brits helped a little, but still. Give the Germans their due....come on Tom! You know full well the rest of the cast could have done the accent, it is just that Tom can't do accents...(possible a good thing if you remember his dreadful Oirish accent in 'Far and Away')
Then comes the poster...........I get it now. It is 'Oceans 14 - The boys take on Hitler'



Is it me or do they look like they are about to break into song and dance, but in a serious 'we are killing Hitler' number...no jazz hands at all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember Tom is a movie star not an actor, there is a very big difference ! He will always be Tom in everything he does and his blinkered fans will absorb it everytime without question . and yes, the poster does look like they are about to jump right into a song and dance gig, Mel Brooks stylee of course.

Michael Parsons said...

But are the fans there anymore?
I guess I am a real movie snog. I still think this story should be in German tongue. I think Memoirs of a Geisha should have been in Japanese (with Japanese actors).

Can you imagine if big Hollywood movie studios outsources projects to their country of origin. WOW...What an Idea!