Saturday 18 October 2008

I hate you! I LOVE YOU!

Isn't it funny how you can utterly loathe an actor. I mean the mention of their name, or the sight of them can fill you with a complete rage. I am like that with Renee Zellweger (or lemon face as I call her (or cats arse...but it does insult cats which really isn't fair on them).

Funnily enough I used to really love Renee, although she hit her peak with me early with 'Nurse Betty', back when her eyes still opened. Now the sight of her makes my skin crawl. That "This war is like a cloud over the land" speech makes my ears bleed.

But how about those actors who you really dislike, then they go and deliver a performance where you have to eat your words. My good friend Dean HATED Keira Knightly with such a ferocious passion. He refused to listen to me about how good she was in 'Pride and Prejudice'. He would snarl his face up at the mention of her, calling her Skeletor and the such. But before last years Oscars, I forced him to watch 'Atonement'.
He ate his humble pie, he ate it all up and bloody loved it.

I am like that way with Nicolas Cage. I look at his face I want to vomit. He makes my skin crawl and I do not understand why on earth the man still works. He consistently churns out shit movies. However I do have to give him 'Adaptation' as he was brilliant in the movie, but since then I have gone back to hating the man.

I also immensely disliked Angelina Jolie. She stole Toni Collette's Best Supporting Actress Oscar with an 'ok' LEAD performance and then followed it with dreg. Up til 2006 her cameo in 'Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow' was her high point for me. Then I reluctantly sat down and watched 'A Mighty Heart' mainly because of the story. Well f*ck me sideways with a chainsaw, she was brilliant. And I felt terrible that she was not nominated until I realized it was karma for the Toni Collette fiasco of 1999.

Back to 'Nurse Betty' for a second....how the heck did Morgan Freeman not get any recognition for that brilliant performance?

Well we love 'em, and we hate 'em again, or vica versa.

Who is it you hate, but have to give props for, for a great performance?

3 comments:

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Great post, you should host some sort of Blog/a/thon about this hehehe.
Anyways, you know what I find fascinating, the reason why we start hating them in the first place? I know I can't still stand Jolie despite how good she was as Pearl.
But what I find so great is that the movies so often have the opportunity to surprise us on such levels!
If someone had heard me three years ago say I was excited to see the new Penelope Cruz movie they wouldn't have recognized me...or thought I was being ironic.

Dame James said...

I used to think Leonardo DiCaprio was a waste as an actor (back in elementary school my friend and I used to call him Leonardo DiCrappacino during the Titanic hysteria), but then I saw The Aviator and The Departed and now I completely love him.

I also used to hate Matt Damon. He never exuded any appeal as an actor until The Departed for me.

Michael Parsons said...

Jose....you should so host the blog-a-thon! I would so take part and think up a new one!

dame james....I hear you on Leonardo, although 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape' showed me he has talent, but since then and before 'The Aviator' I thought he was a one hit wonder. But that and 'The Departed' showed me the man can act.