Friday 17 October 2008

Lady Updates

Lordy…just when I start getting all my predictions done you hear all the news coming at once.
For instance, ‘The Road’ may be moving to 2009. Same with ‘The Reader’ and now news the ‘The Soloist’ is being dumped too. Are these film just not as good as they could be and they are assuming that 2009 will be a limp movie year due to the writers strike? Are studios pulling films that may not stand a chance in this years competitive crop hoping that next year the field will be weaker?

Hmmmmmmm.

Then one of my frontrunners screened, ‘Frost/Nixon’ to questionable reviews. Oh dear….not a good sign really.

Also on my mind is category confusion. Who will be in what category this year?
Heath Ledger may still be campaigned in the lead category (kind of a Hannibal Lector move there), and Cate Blanchett is either lead or supporting depending on how much you like her or care. For me I will keep her in supporting. It is after all ‘The Curious Case of Benjamin Button’ not ‘The Curious Case of Benjamin Button’s Love Interest’.

So, yes. I have updated my Best Supporting Actress predictions (don’t you love how I capitalize everything to make it Ultra Important?) but the field is still murky as all hell until some more reviews come in, and release date decisions are made.

4 comments:

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

I hope the move for "The Soloist" doesn't mean Robert Downey Jr. won't get a nod this year.
Although I must confess I'm sorta happy Jamie Foxx is out, I'm through with his dull performances and the circus he makes out of awards.

Michael Parsons said...

You know....I feel the same re: Jamie Foxx, but if the performance is there then I will have to give it to him.

Isn't it the worst when an actor you hate give a great performance?

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Tell me about it, I had to eat my shoes after watching Penelope Cruz in "Volver" after proclaiming everywhere how much I hated her, same with Keira and "Pride and Prejudice" and the list goes on...

Michael Parsons said...

I am so going to do a post about this.