Thursday 6 November 2008

Jerich - no

Angry rant comin' at ya (like Cleopatra)

I had heard so much about the short lived TV series 'Jericho' that I thought I should watch it. My sister recommended it and I had followed its story about being cancelled then bought back due to immense fan love.

The show was about a series of nuclear terrorist attacks that leave the US in a state of disaster and how a small Kansas town must come together to deal with a new reality.
It was scored a high 8.3 on IMDB so I figured I was missing out on one of those great shows that gets lost.

Me and mine got so excited when it arrived in the post to watch. We couldn't wait. We snuggled up on the sofa with our Marks and Spencers dinner and pressed play.

We watched the first episode and even though we rolled our eyes and giggled in the wrong moments we though 'Let's watch the rest of disc, I am sure it must get better"

Well after 4 episodes I can tell yu with a doubt that it didn't.

Seriously y'all what is it about most network dramas? Can they not get it right?
In the first two episodes you have so many ridiculous sub plots:

A Mayor who is up for re-election fighting with his competition.
A mysterious man who knows more than he lets on.
A stranded school bus full of children.
Escaped convicts terrorizing a deaf girl.

I mean really writers. The entire US of A is practically wiped out by nuclear bombs! Is that not dramatic enough?
Do you really feel the need to add an new drama for each episode to be resolved by the end?
Add to this the only person who does anything right is Skeet Ulrich of all people, running around like MacGyver.
And please do not get me started on the appalling score. I spent the whole time on my sofa wanting to scream at Skeet, begging him to tell the orchestra to shut the f*ck up.

Such a great premise wasted. They took a scripted disaster that could easily be a reality (knock on wood) and made it into something melodramatic. For shame. That is nearly 4 hours I will never get back. I could have been watching 'Generation Kill'. next time I see my sister I am going to slap deck and disconnect her (not really sweetie).

Is the only good TV worth watching on HBO, BBC, Showtime and apparently AMC?

Bring on 'Dollhouse' and quick!

Rant over.

UPDATE


My lovely just came home and said "Oh God that was the worst piece of twaddle I have seen in a long time" heeee

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Did you really watch the show? I think you completely missed the whole point of the show. It isn't so much about bombs taking out major cities, It's more about how the people of a small town react to the isolation this event brings. It's about people stepping up into positions they normally wouldn't find themselves in, and doing things they didn't think they were capable of. It's about ordinary people, in extraordinary circumstances, doing the right thing (and, yes, sometimes the wrong things). It's about people taking care of each other and learning to appreciate what is really important in life....love, family, hope, trust and friendship among other things.

And, just so you know, the mysterious guy becomes one of the most intriguing 'mysterious guy' ever as the story unfolds.

I'm sure Jericho isn't a story for everyone, but I loved it. Thanks for letting me share my opinion.

Michael Parsons said...

You are most welcome, and I am glad you loved the show.

I consider myself a TV snob, and bang my head against a wall when people say they did not like 'Battlestar Galactica' or 'The Wire'.

'Jericho' was just not my cup of tea.