Friday 23 January 2009

Mini Review 'Gran Torino'

I was so prepared to hate this film. I have never really been a fan of Clint Eastwood's movie making style (aside from the blub-fest of 'The Bridges of Madison County) so it was with great trepidation that I watched this film.
Imagine my surprise when I began to warm to his, tongue firmly in cheek, caricature of the grumpy racist old man who shows surprising depth and feeling. Sure the story of an angry old man taking on a gang that is disturbing the neighborhood is not the most inspired, but the way Eastwood handles the story keeps you in rapt attention.
Sure there are many clunky scenes in this film, but you do buy the characters he has laid out in front of you, you believe how their relationships evolve and most importantly how they bond with each other is completely plausible.
Eastwood never softens his character, he never apologizes for his racism and he doesn't have an enlightening moment, all of which I was expecting, and dreading.
For that I am thankful.
Also noteworthy is newcomer Ahney Her as the young next door neighbour Sue Lor. I am not sure if her performance was as layered as I saw it, or a totally accident due to inexperience, but she seemed to get across the wall of confidence with the fear ready to break through very well.
Clint Eastwood has made an enjoyable film, and give a throughly enjoyable performance. A shame then that he did not get a nomination from Oscar.

Grade: B

No comments: